Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finally got the time and money to install my rebuilt Vitara build in my del-sol and now it is throwing a cel and after a quick drive around the block the Exhaust is HOTTTTT all the way back to the tip...

I know I need to pull the CEL code and see what it says but what about the Exhaust being so hot?... Too lean of mixture since it is running N/A and lower compression? could it be the FPR going bad or not building enough fuel pressure? I did install my xenocron 255lhr fuel pump just before the swap... could this be pushing past the FPR?

Need some suggestions. Any Ideas are appreciated...

[edit] I know I asked this question on my motor build post earlier today but have gotten no answers so I made it a new post for clarification and less confusion... Thanks again for any ideas and help!!

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
It's possibly your ignition timing is much to retarded, so much so that the engine is spewing out still burning air and fuel into the exhaust. This could also be from the cam timing being off.

Stop driving until you figure out what CEL you are getting.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Retarded ignition is my vote, like ATDC instead of BTDC.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Ignition timing is off......

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D16Z6 timing belt pulley on the crank is aligned with the TDC mark on the oil pump and the cam gear (also d16z6 gear and head) is aligned with the Single mark at about the 7 o'clock position on the back of the timing cover under the cam gear... Rotated the whole assy several times to v erify that the gears are still lining up properly with thier marks on the engine... Using a timing light I had to advance the dizzy fully to get the timing marks (three lines on the crank pully - center line=16 degrees BTDC) to the first (white) timing mark...

Even though the marks on the pulleys are aligned per the manual, is it still possible I am off a tooth on the belt somehow?

When I first assembled the engine I aligned the cam pulley up with the two lines and marks on the back of the cover that are almost parallel with the head and had great power down low but it would not pull well up top (still pulled to redline just no power, kinda like no v-tech engagement). After consulting the manual I went out and re-set the cam gear to the single timing mark (one tooth retarded) and got where I am at today...

Since the head was bought from a local guy I really have no idea if he had it resurfaced or how much was taken off if it was... Could this be my problem with the cam gear alignment? Shaved off the head enough that the actual proper timing is in between teeth on the gear?

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
We said ignition timing not cam timing.

There are many past threads that describe how to measure each.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Yes, that could be the problem. You really need to know how much gets taken off. Since you don't know, the only way to get the cam set correctly is with a dial gauge and a degree wheel.

Are you sure it is a Z6 and not a Y8 cam gear?

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yes I am... It is the same gear that I took off of the original d16z6 in the car... If timing is too far retarded I really have no way of advancing the timing any further with the dizzy... I have exhausted my adjustability for advancing the dizzy and still cant get the timing right... Really kinda odd...

I guess it is possible that my harmonic balancer is bad and that my timing marks are off because of that... I checked it before assy and everything "looked" fine... I dont know, maybe I am grasping at straws here...

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Verify TDC by mechanical means, like a dial indicator or a positive stop.

Verify the timing marks on the pulley and the front cover line up

Verify cam timing by comparing to the data on the card or by split overlap if you don't have a card.

Once the cam is on the tooth that is closest to spec (presuming it's not adjustable) set the static or base timing to factory spec.

If that is not obtainable, determine why. Most likely reason is mismatch of parts re head, cam, dizzy. To correct, obtain correct parts or modify the slots in the dissy.

Once you have confirmed the cam is correct or near enough,

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pat... The CEL was a Bonehead mistake by me... Plugged in the IACV to the Power steering pressure switch and visa versa... LOL... The timing has been checked checked and re-checked... Cam to crank timing is good as is the timing at the dizzy (now) set at 16 degrees BTDC with just a little bit of advance left... Car idles smoothly and pulls to redline now... CEL is gone... Codes cleared... Exhaust is still hot but nowhere near the way it was before... Once I set the Dizzy timing correctly and cleared the CEL everything went back to normal except the hot exhaust... nothing is glowing hot but definately hotter than it was with the original engine...

Thanks for all the suggestions... I'm just glad the CEL is gone and the car is driveable... Will continue to monitor the exhaust very carefully...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
does it have a cat on it? also with the lower compression it is gonna run rich and this can cause the cat to get very hot from the unburnt fuel, to much driving like this will actually melt the catalyst and clog it

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Maybe you are just making more power and using more throttle.

If the cam was changed, earlier exhaust opening might increase exhaust temperature a bit, as might more reaction in the cat if present.

Cats run real hot if there is a miss fire or if there is a lot of cam overlap.

Even the cat can't burn fuel without oxygen present. You need both fuel and oxygen to burn in the cat.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No cat installed... Just straight exhaust from the factory header to the 3" catback... No worries of cat clogging here... This car's intended purpose is as a semi-daily driver and 1/4 mile car... I have 2 years to get it built and tuned properly for my son to race a the strip... He is 13 now (almost 14) so I have time on my side... I figure a 11-12 second car should be enough thrills for him at first... Later I will swap the engine out with the other d16z6 I will be building for a faster car... Vitara build first, Srp and eagle build later... Then who knows what it will be. ;)

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
With no cat, I would just run it but keep an eye on it.

Check leak down and tappet settings. If tappets start to lose adjustment look closer for the cause, like valves stretching or seats burning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts