Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of CBR929RR '01 ignition coils from eBay, and I'm gonna use them in my engine. But I just started to wonder about them, is that ignition system a CDI or traditional inductive system like used in cars?

I haven't found this information anywhere, but according to some pictures those wires go ~directly to ECU, and our school's road racing Integra had CBR coils(atleast they looks exactly same, including connectors, and were made by Denso or Keihin iirc) connected directly to french Sodemo ECU. I don't believe there's a CDI system integrated inside to ECU because of RFI etc..?

Does anyone have any clue about this?

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
the way my buddy did it, was he converted to a DIS system, drilled his exhaust cam gear and placed sensing magnets on it, and used a crank position sensor,i know he uses a chipped ecu and a motec m4 system...... the forum he is on is down so i dont have any pics.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I'm converting to coil-on-plug ignition, these are what I'll get;

ATM I use Hall-sensor at crank, and I'm gonna put another sensor into camgear. It's needed to determine exact position of engine, which coil to fire.. Unless I wire two coils parallel in 1&4 and 2&3 to get wasted-spark..

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, now I finally found the information according to CBR600RR F4/F4i, I found some links, and factory service manual. The coils are indeed ordinary inductive type, having around 0.8ohm primary resistance, and working with ~3ms dwell(charge time). This should be pretty close with other CBR coils too.
Some ppl seems tend to put AEM CDI unit between AEM ECU and those coils.

http://www.pe-ltd.com/Downloads/F4 F4I app page.pdf
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1344468&page=1

Hope some1 else experiences this interesting/useful too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rushi, you're the man. I hope you still get the alerts to this. Looks liek I will be taking up where your legacy left off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts