Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know which con-rods I can use when I want to build my N/A D15 with Honda CBR 1000 RR pistons?

greetz

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
custom rods will be needed......since the pistons use a 17mm wrist pin and I've yet to find the compression height.

JE 75mm and 77mm pistons are over $700 a set, then figure another $800-1000 for custom rods.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I had this info down somewhere; but CH is around 23.5mm IIRC. I can double check in a bit.

The rods can be had for ~$500-600 IIRC(modded Eagle Dart rods through I believe RS Machine).

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Damn, I'm thinking about the D15B VTEC crankshaft(in which modded B18 long rods would work). If that's not the case, then yup, completely custom rods are the only way to go.

Anyways, the CH I got is ~23.68mm.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
you don't wanna know my other ideas.......1.8x RS is possible with a D16 block and D15 crank.
Theres nothing sexier than a big rod... ratio

Ive always wanted to weld on a deck plate with custom sleeves in order to get an epic rod ratio, like 2.0:1, then rev the sucker to like 11k. Id imagine that building a head that can support that wouldnt be a too difficult, but I wouldnt be surprised in oiling became an issue.

·
Registered
92 Civic Cx hatch
20 Posts
do u think it's worth taking some stock rods and customizing them to work . then taking them to get shot- peened or even cyro freezed ?

·
Registered
92 Civic Cx hatch
20 Posts
So you'd need a 141mm C-C rod.....1.67 RS......
If u don't mind me asking , how did u come up with this conlusion ? And if any1 was interested the 2008 and newer cbr1000 piston are 76 mm (3.0 in). which this makes it a little bigger then the 07 cbr .

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
07 and older 1000rr piston won't work in a stock d engine; they're slightly smaller and the clearances are too loose.

Large rod ratios(+1.7 ) aren't necessary to rev to 11k...so long as the parts are strong enough. Bikes, on the other hand, rev from 11500 to 16000rpm so benefits more.

·
Registered
92 Civic Cx hatch
20 Posts
07 and older 1000rr piston won't work in a stock d engine; they're slightly smaller and the clearances are too loose.

Large rod ratios(+1.7 ) aren't necessary to rev to 11k...so long as the parts are strong enough. Bikes, on the other hand, rev from 11500 to 16000rpm so benefits more.
So if anything i have to get the 2008 and newer one . what about rods ? i kno 141mm is what they said waz needed , but what about customizing stock rods , then shto peened them ? good idea or Bad idea.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
If u don't mind me asking , how did u come up with this conlusion ? And if any1 was interested the 2008 and newer cbr1000 piston are 76 mm (3.0 in). which this makes it a little bigger then the 07 cbr .
7mm difference in compression height = 7mm longer CUSTOM rod. You are looking at $1500-2000 in rods and pistons alone....not worth it.

·
Registered
92 Civic Cx hatch
20 Posts
7mm difference in compression height = 7mm longer CUSTOM rod. You are looking at $1500-2000 in rods and pistons alone....not worth it.
yea ur right , thanks . p29 piston here i come.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
They are you you want to have any kind of reliability.
So many of you honda guys build these engines like fucking grenades.

The only reason bikes car rev that high is because
1) Very high rod ratios, often in excess of 2.0:1
2) Very lightweight rotating assembly, especially the pistons

Sure you can rev an LS/Vtec to 9k rpm when your out doing some lame street racing, but if you used an engine like that in real racing it wouldnt even last one race, and even in a street car its still going to taper the cylinders from piston slap 1000 times sooner than the same engine with a 7500 rpm rev limit.

I saw the buildup of a honda for the targa rally in newfoundland, they were limited to 1.6L naturally aspirated in there class, so they built a B16 to be capable of 11k rpm, which required them to run an inch thick deck plate to make for an even better rod ratio. Yet Ive had local boy racers tell me how a stock B16 with valve springs car rev to 11k all day long.
I guess the guys that built that race car did all that work for no reason, nobody told them you could raise the factory rev limit by 3k rpm with some valve springs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts