Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drooling oil all over the place from the valve cover vent. I'm going to diy a catchcan. Looking for suggestions. Something simple, I doubt I'm more than 200hp at the moment and don't plan on going over 300 as it's going to be my daily.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
If you dig around the DIY section you should be able to uncover a bunch of easy and very functional cans. My opinion, something baffled that vents the block and head. Search around a bit and you'll find plenty of good info throughout the forum, I know personally I've covered this subject a few times over the years, so there is no shortage of info.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I tried 3 different times to make a effective catchcan..

Ended up tossing them in the trash.

I just had Greg At Autoworks make me one to the specs I wanted. then it was fine after that.. only cost me about 100 bucks..

Guess how much I spent trying to fabricate 1 decent one? And remember, I tried 3 different times.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you dig around the DIY section you should be able to uncover a bunch of easy and very functional cans. My opinion, something baffled that vents the block and head. Search around a bit and you'll find plenty of good info throughout the forum, I know personally I've covered this subject a few times over the years, so there is no shortage of info.
I'm aware of the diy's. Just looking for people's opinions.

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
besides the really nice air/oil separators like the subie guys have that include a water heater like to evap off the water Saikou Michi is probably the best for the money
Saikou Michi Co. Home
Just tell him what you want and he will design it and send you some diagrams. The price is right for the work but be prepared for quite a wait time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. Until I figure out what I'm going to use as a permanent solution I have a fuel filter on the end of some hose turned slightly upward so it drains back into the vent.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went through this and can only say MAKE SURE you remove the pcv valve from the hose that comes out of the crank case breather ( the black box )

Just pull the pcv valve up and out of where it sits in the intake manifold. Then tug that hose ( same hose you just pulled the pcv valve out of ) out of the manifold ( it's just a cutout in the manifold for the hose & pcv valve to run / sit in ) and point it down.

NOW you shouldn't have as much pressure up top. Lmk if you already did this or did something else. It helped me tremendously on my turbo d16z6 ( had crazy blowby and oil leaks because the pcv was just sitting there restricitng the crank )!
I did not do that at all. The hose is still connected to the box. Wait, that won't create a boost leak??

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
This is my buddy Adams setup. Keeps the whole head in vacuum. He's running 23lbs on a KA24.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm going to use this for my diy. I'm a bartender and we always catch little shits trying to bring stuff in and this is right along the lines of what I've seen most of the diys do. I figure a single 1/8 npt barb, another 1/8 npt drain nozzle, and a filter to clamp over the top and that should be fine. Now I just have to figure out how to mount it to the oem ef overfill location without it looking ghetto.
IMG_20170324_120414543 by Anomolix, on Flickr

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
I think I'm going to use this for my diy. I'm a bartender and we always catch little shits trying to bring stuff in and this is right along the lines of what I've seen most of the diys do. I figure a single 1/8 npt barb, another 1/8 npt drain nozzle, and a filter to clamp over the top and that should be fine. Now I just have to figure out how to mount it to the oem ef overfill location without it looking ghetto.
That's pretty much exactly what I thought when I first saw the Endyn catch can. It looks like they took a Venom energy drink bottle, took some sand paper to it (ooh shiny), attached some fittings, a filter on the bottom and turned it upside down.

Will it work? Maybe?? I can't really say... I don't have a catch can set up yet for my car, still mostly stock. If you're going to go the DIY route, here is a link for a guy who made a similar baffled catch can.
DIY Baffled Catch Can - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
Lol you guys are hilarious. A new version of the wheel!
Lol. It's definitely not anything I'd bother with, when there are so many tried and true options available. To get it right you will probably spend close to or more, after failed attempts, than just buying something that works to begin with.

Seems like he's pretty much set on doing his own thing though, to try to save money. So I figured I would at least at least attempt to point him towards something that might (?) work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts