Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point is a catch can neccessary I've been beating my d16z6 with a 13g on it. At 8 psi tuned crome pro and. So far so good I have a catch can set up but yet to install it enlighten me please

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
what has any searching told you yet?

technically there are two ways to install them. VC breathing, or black box breathing. But one way works better than the other.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
what they said.

Most factory cars run pcv setups due to emission. Or a tube from the turbo inlet to help suck out the pressure.
But it is all about how pressure is building up.
You will prolong the life of the motor by running a good setup tho

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Never had blow by issues again with my dual -10an breather kit. It's well worth it

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Necessary? Likely not. Look at what the OEM's do for roughly that size turbo - practically nothing. If you are having unusual issues that may relate to crankcase pressure (like a smoking turbo or oil-fouled park plugs) that typical fixes aren't fixing, you might need one.

Will it help? Most likely, but results vary. I've seen more than a handful of people have catch cans cause more issues than they solve. Right now I think 3/4 of catch cans in use aren't added to help, they're added because they make the car looks like a serious racecar.

In any case, I'm not a fan of guessing if you need a part. So far I've never seen any Honda owner actually hook a pressure sensor to their valve cover & log crankcase pressure. But then again Honda owners tend to be the most frugal with data collection, besides what comes out of the CN1 port.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I had a catch can on my 2013 Honda Fit. I was collecting about 1oz of oil every 1k miles.

no wonder my intake valves were already dirty as can be at 40k miles when I had the intake assembly off for another valve lash adjustment/inspection. (intake runners curve over motor on the L15 motors)

Since cleaning the entire intake assembly on my d16y7, no oil has shown itself.

no catch can now. Just a clean good quality breather filter. the ebay ones dont filter anything at all. I bought one just to show my brother how easily fresh 10w40 conventional seeps right out of it. good $3 lesson for him lol

·
Registered
ek hatch
73 Posts
If you already bought one ,why wait and see if you develop blow by issues? Install it and mo itor the amount of oily crud it catches.cheap insurance.most likely youl end up turning up the boost so .....

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I have a huge issue with catch can designs. If all you are doing is placing a large cavern in line whats the point?

I had to design my own to be happy and believe its actually doing anything.
99% of the catchcans out there are un-baffled

oil "spray" wont separate from airflow.

which means 99% of online available catchcans are junk. read: all ebay cans. lol

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I had Greg at Autoworks fab me up a can that I mounted on pass shock tower.

I threw some soft foam inside to baffle it, works perfectly.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
So just because your running w/o one means its not needed..

highly unlikely. If you did research on why its needed, you would use it.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
your rings will disagree with you shortly

Wait, do you even have a modified or boosted engine? If not, then yea, not needed.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Im surprised people are trying to say you don't need one.... lol I mean really. Yes at any/every level of a boosted setup a catch can should be required. Its a small investment for peace of mind.... maybe not "needed" for low power, or what not, but the good they do for venting should never be over looked.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is it the catch can that is needed or, just the fact that you're helping release pressure from the engine...I'm sure it's better to have a properly designed catch can for emissions. But how much better is it than just having a vent on the VC going to a slashcut in the exhaust...or how much worse

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
your rings will disagree with you shortly

Wait, do you even have a modified or boosted engine? If not, then yea, not needed.
How shortly. 5 years running strong. Was my daily for 2 years through summer and winter snow. I have more problems with transmissions then my motor

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
on a healthy motor, the effects of a catchcan are minimzed.

On a purpose built motor, perhaps forged internals where piston to wall gap is alrger than factory, a catchcan can be an amazing helper in engine life.

There are no set rules for having it or not having it.

I personally will have one once my civic is completely up to my standards of maintenance. a timing belt, water pump, and full gasket kit are on the to-do list before a proper catchcan though. and a dry and wet test before worried about keeping it healthier. if this motor shows its burning oil, well, looks like my motor is gonna be squeaky clean new this winter lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts