Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man i been reading for the last hr and my head is about to explode trying to figure out whats the best way to install a catch can for my d16y7 turbo app.

Can i run a closed loop setup with my setup? ( im going to be boosting around 14 psi max once the motors broken in) or should i run a open breather setup? can i run a k&n filter on the valve cover and run one catch can for block? or will that not work ? sorry for being such a newb again lol. :uh:

I dont need to tap 2 new ports in the valve cover like the endyne setup correct? so many diff ways to hook the system up has me really confused.

·
Registered
831 Posts
most typical way is to connect valve cover opening and pcv on the block to the catch can (2 individual, or Y-connect to one opening on the CC) and then open vent the catch can.. filter or not.. ....

OPTIMALLY- there would be an electric motor drawing vacuum on the catch can instead of open vent.. or at least a slash cut bung welded to the exhaust to draw vacuum but, under maximum load the vacuum that it draws isn't strong enough to have the desired effect.

at least... this is my understanding after melting my brain over the situation a few times.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Heres what I just did:

for the cheap. the black box fitting can be bought at lowes and you could run 5/8 rubber hose from lowes too. I got the AN fittings and hose for free. I would have used barbed ends if i had to buy it.

Just welded ends on a piece of 3" exhaust pipe and used a fart can muffler silencer as the nipple for my filter on top.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Check out my build thread in my sig if you wanna see pic or something. I got an ebay catch can. Replaced the shitty drain with a petcock, replaced the cap with a breather. Stuffed it with steal wool (perhaps not the best solution but it works) have one line running from the stock VC vent spot, hollowed out a PCV valve and have the other hose running to that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
easiest way is to run hoses from the valvecover and the pcy box (or delete it like i did with a $3 fitting) into a catchcan with a filter on top

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MD95ej1 and xylocramer Thanks for the quick reply rep4u

I know its illegal to vent the pcv system into the atmosphere ( who cares fuk the EPA lol ) anways im just wondering if this will throw any CEL codes.. im pretty sure it wont but i dunno lol ima neeeewbie
And last but not least.. All i need to do is cap off the nipple were the pcv hoes goes back into the manifold or throttlebody correct? as long as i cap this off i will not have any vacuum leaks right? Makes sense to me lol...

Is this a pretty common way guys run the pcv system on turbo D's?

The closed loop setup seems like a pain in the ass lol

Thanks guys

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have an ebay catch can also with nothing in it.

I've heard of people using those puff ball bathroom shower things that come with bottles of liquid soap lol I need to throw some steel wool or some sort of media in the catch can to catch the oil vapors for sure but i dont really know what i should do.. the catch can is alum. and i know the steel will corrode once it sits next to the alum over time.. im wondering if anyone has used anything like this before.

I wish i had the link i read this on lol so you guys dont think im full of sh%t lol

This is what dude said he was using.. i wonder how hot this material can get? Im thinking the hot oil vapors might melt the shit? but who knows those things are pretty damn strong http://www.wellpromo.com/upload/upimg41/Bath-Puffs-64841.jpg

lol what do you guys think? stick to steel wool?

·
Registered
112 Posts
get some course steel wool, or the copper wool stuff.. its sold near the dishsoap in a grocery store for scrubbing dishes and pots and shit

i wouldnt worry too much about corrosion. Oil vapors will take care of all that.

yes block off the old intake manifold ports.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've had the catch can setup with the breather for a while. I really didn't like it because if you turned off recirculate the vapors would stink up the cabin. Also the inside of the windshield gets covered in film pretty quick. Do it the right way the first time. I've recently changed to this setup, and it works a lot better.

There are other options as well, but this is the simplest and most effective I've found.

·
Registered
774 Posts
wow you guys over complicate stuff. i was in the same boat. what do i do etc.

simple. get rid of the pcv all together. then simple for NA run from black box to can and from VC to can and a third back to intake for vacume.

for boost its the same but you dont need the line back to the intake as the blow by/pos crank pressure will push the oil to the can any way.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i like the idea of the shitty oil vapors going into the catch can and thats it!

the whole point of this setup is to catch the oil b4 it re inters the motor and causes the oil to degrade.

I have a lot of money in my vitara bottom end and i do want the oil to be as clean as possible to save my bearings and internals.

I guess im just going to run the 2 hoses from the valve cover and the deleted pcv valve and run the open breather catch can.

I dont mind cleaning up the engine bay once ina while from the vapors thats not that big of a deal in my eyes.. look at it this way.. would u rather clean the oil from the window then ruin your engine oil and bearings faster.

Thanks for all the input guys you really shed some light on the whole catch can setup.

Lucky me i have a extra black box that came with my block i bought so im going to use that to throw a brass fitting on the pcv port and call it a day.

Peace, Jason

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I ran the setup brad posted for awhile and did not like it. For one, the little filter off the valve cover does not vent enough and clogs up fast! Long term damage can be done. The second part is pulling vacuum off the pre-turbo intake. It sucks vapors in faster than the catch can would absorb and eventually put a nice film of oil in the turbo and intercooling pipes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I just have my valve cover nipple connected to a tube pointing at the ground

Also gutted my PCV valve and attached a tube from that pointing down at the ground as well.

Anything wrong with my setup? My oil gets dirty within 1,000 miles, I assume that's from not having a vacuum source connected to suck out the blowby vapors?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts