Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried taking off the catalytic converter on a d16y8 will you get p420 code if you do? i know its illegal to do but i just want to know if there is any gains from doing it besides getting louder. or will it just hurt your gas millage and make your car run rough?

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
I don't think it will hurt your gas mileage. It will just pollute our earth more. I also do not think it will make your car run rough just louder and more annoying.. If you wanted you could have the cat taken off and weld in a vibrant ultra quiet resonator = problem solved. But I'm not a fan of more pollution for our earth. MAybe get a magnaflow catalytic converter (high flow plus better for the environment). This is what I have for my D16z6 Amazon.com: Magnaflow 22636 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant): Automotive

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had a friend do it and his check engine light came on and the car ran a little rough the code was p420 did his o2 sensor just go out? or was it because of the no cat?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i had a friend do it and his check engine light came on and the car ran a little rough the code was p420 did his o2 sensor just go out? or was it because of the no cat?
My crystal ball is saying.... check back again later.

Damn.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Don't be a dipshit. Leave the catalytic converter on your car. There aren't any pros to removing it on a stock car. If it has failed, then find the problem that caused it to fail, fix said problem and replace the catalytic converter. Choose a high flow unit from Magnaflow if you must.

I made 200 WHP on an NA B series through a catalytic converter and 60 mm exhaust. Your Y8 will gain nothing noteworthy by removing the catalyst.

Yes, removing the catalyst will cause an MIL to be illuminated because of the catalyst efficiency monitor routine that is part of the OBD2 standard.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
O yeah, I forgot you were talking about a d16y8 (pre 2006 only had 1 02 sensor). I guess that might make it run rough then. Just keep it on. If you gained anything it would probably be like 1hp.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
O yeah, I forgot you were talking about a d16y8 (pre 2006 only had 1 02 sensor). I guess that might make it run rough then. Just keep it on. If you gained anything it would probably be like 1hp.
Wrong by a full decade.

1996 was the beginning of OBD2.

·
Banned
17 Posts
You will get a catalyst deterioration code if not a few other failure codes. Even with a test pipe , if the readings between the two o2 sensors are too close you will get a failure code and fail emissions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts