Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 97 Civic LX, the one that comes with the cat in the header. I installed a header designed for an EX and ran no cat, but the header didn't blt right up. This setup caused the car exhaust to rattle. So now I'm looking into getting the catalytic converter and midpipe from an civic EX.

I found the midpipe for $40, I just can't seem to find a OBD2 Catalytic converter. I want to run a cat since lately in San Diego there has been roadside smog checks.

I have one cat from my CRX and another from a 94 civic I used to have, but will those fit? I was looking through summit racing and all the catalytic converters had different sizes. They are all between 15"-17". So if not having a O2 bung isn't an issue for me, could I run the OBD1 or OBD0 cats? Thanks.

After I install the exhaust I'm finally getting my car tuned!

·
Registered
97 del slo
802 Posts
regarding your last statement:

in order to tune, you're gonna need to be obd1.. or a stand-alone system. but what would be the point? is that all you have is a y7 motor? there's really no point in spending the money to tune. your car is going to be slow as balls no matter what.

sorry i couldn't help you with the cat problem... too lazy to piece what you wrote together. haha

good luck :TU:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
regarding your last statement:

in order to tune, you're gonna need to be obd1.. or a stand-alone system. but what would be the point? is that all you have is a y7 motor? there's really no point in spending the money to tune. your car is going to be slow as balls no matter what.

sorry i couldn't help you with the cat problem... too lazy to piece what you wrote together. haha

good luck :TU:
Oh it's not just a Y7. It's a Y7 block/Z6 head with a Y8 IM, I/H/E, underdrive pulleys and a hondata IM gasket. It's converted to OBD1 running a P28.

When I dyno'd the car it runs rich betwen 4500RPMs to 6000RPMs. Considering that's where I do most of my racing, I want to get it tuned right.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you throwing a cel for the o2 sensor that could be making it run rich since your secondary o2 probaly isn't seeing a cat in place.
Nope, no CEL.

hmm... if it's obd1.. there'd be no point in getting an obd2 cat with the second o2 bung.
Yeah I woul use something else if i could find one the same size. So does anyone have any cats sitting around that they can compare?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Any EX catalytic converter from 1992-2000 is physically interchangeable. Maybe not smog legal, but hey it's a cat that's not $550 from Honda, or $1100 if you want the '99-'00 one.

'92-'95 cats may require lengthening of the o2 sensor wire if yours is down there. Bung is in a different spot on the cat (middle for obd1, rear for obd2 iirc). Not sure where your wire is since it's an LX but soldering up longer wires isn't that hard.

I should know, my '96 has an OBD1 cat on it. BTW, the OBD2a computer NEVER threw a CEL in the last forty thousand miles for it. They don't really care until you get to the '99 ecu's.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Any EX catalytic converter from 1992-2000 is physically interchangeable. Maybe not smog legal, but hey it's a cat that's not $550 from Honda, or $1100 if you want the '99-'00 one.

'92-'95 cats may require lengthening of the o2 sensor wire if yours is down there. Bung is in a different spot on the cat (middle for obd1, rear for obd2 iirc). Not sure where your wire is since it's an LX but soldering up longer wires isn't that hard.

I should know, my '96 has an OBD1 cat on it. BTW, the OBD2a computer NEVER threw a CEL in the last forty thousand miles for it. They don't really care until you get to the '99 ecu's.
OBD1 cats have an O2 bung? The cat I got out of a 94 DX didn't have a O2 bung.

id just grab up a test pipe that bolts in for an ex..
I ran no cat for a while but latley I've been hearing about roadside smog checks here in San Diego. I can't afford to pay that fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.