Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question guys .. ive been noticing most people run the exhaust system for a cast mani setup off of the left side and have a really big bend in the pipe. Im wondering why people design the system like this.

Are there any problems i will run into if i run the cool side on the left and the Hot side on the right?

Just kinda worries me why i dont see many setups running the downpipe on the right side.

Maybe someone could post some decent pictures of there cast mani setup with the downpipe coming off of the right side?

Sorry for being such a newb :-D its my 1st turbo build

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Because if you flip the turbo so that the turbine outlet is on the right hand side, the turbo will stick way the hell out from the engine on most pretty much every cast manifold out there.

It works, I have seen it done, but I wouldn't do it myself. Dynamically unbalanced inline 4 cylinder engine with a fairly heavy mass hanging off with a decent sized moment arm is asking for a greater chance of fatigue induced stress cracks.

There are many tubular manifolds that are better suited to a right hand turbine outlet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i have a right side exit downpipe and a Godspeed pos Ramhorn from this kid for next to nothing.. but i dont trust the manifold reading reviews lol.

Its got 4 braces welded to the wastegate flange for extra support but i still dont trust the damn thing.

Im only going to be pushing 10 psi once everythings broken in. So im thinking on low boost this manifold i have now might not crack lol...............

What do you guys think i should do?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What do u think if i braced the cast manifold from the rear turbo bolts to the engine and ran the downpipe i have? bad idea? just throwing ideas out there..

Im thinking i might even sell this downpipe/manifold and just go with the left side exit cast manifold. I do not want to buy a new downpipe tho lol i don't know what to do.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm running an Ebay cast manifold with downpipe on the right (drivers) side. Enough space for AC if I had a better exhaust guy. Also easier to dump wastegate into downpipe if I want to since the wastegate is on the last runner.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Come on left side right side. Its suppost to be driber side pass side when talking about a car.
But if u want ac the dp must go on thd driver side and be a tight bend.
If u dont care for ac I would still put it ln the driver side and just use a bigger pipe that goes right wher the ac comprossor was. My reason for this is weight. Having the turbo flipped around puts more strees on the monifold bolts because the turbo sticks out farter then the manifold.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Come on left side right side. Its suppost to be driber side pass side when talking about a car.
But if u want ac the dp must go on thd driver side and be a tight bend.
If u dont care for ac I would still put it ln the driver side and just use a bigger pipe that goes right wher the ac comprossor was. My reason for this is weight. Having the turbo flipped around puts more strees on the monifold bolts because the turbo sticks out farter then the manifold.
The industry standard is to refer to left and right as you are sitting in the car facing forward.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
The industry standard is to refer to left and right as you are sitting in the car facing forward.
True but I gave seen a ton of people who pop the hood and say the d motors sit on the right because there in front of the car looking at it.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Ding ding..

Personally, I like the left facing. There is simply more room to work with when it comes to turbo size, dp size, and drain "angles". I do know you have to give up a bit, since the a/c compressor will no longer fit, along with possibly the front tq mount. But to be honest, its all up to the builder as to what they want.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Ding ding..

Personally, I like the left facing. There is simply more room to work with when it comes to turbo size, dp size, and drain "angles". I do know you have to give up a bit, since the a/c compressor will no longer fit, along with possibly the front tq mount. But to be honest, its all up to the builder as to what they want.
i also feel that the left is better because of the room. this is how i had mine set up when i had a cast mani. mainly mad the downpipe way easier to fab and fit up. but then again i didnt have AC or PS at that point anymore.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the reply's guys.

BTW i do not have AC in the car so that is not a problem.

You guys pretty much answered my question but im still not sure what i wanna do lol..

seeing some guys run it on the right with no problems. I might just use the downpipe i have and flip the turbo out and possibly make 2 braces for the manifold that uses the 2 rear turbo housing bolts.

Im still unsure what i want to do lol.

Take a chance with this 3.1 mm thick ramhorn or just ghetto rig my setup with the right side exit and some braces for extra support.

Im more then likely to sell the shit i have and buy a cast with the left side exit..

Atleast i have some time to think about it..

Let me know if anyone else has had luck running a cast mani with a right side exhaust exit.

Thanks again, u guys rock I love this site :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i just ordered a Go autoworks Cast manifold for $119 shipped! im going to mock it up with the passenger side exhaust exit and see how retarded it looks.. im sure i wont like it but if it works i might just brace the turbo and run that downpipe and call it a day.

Im wondering if i will run into my radiator if i run the downpipe on the passenger side with the turbo sticking out so far.

Ill let u guys know what i come up with .. i have a feeling i should just spend the money and get a drivers side exit but im cheap damnit! lol

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Well i just ordered a Go autoworks Cast manifold for $119 shipped! im going to mock it up with the passenger side exhaust exit and see how retarded it looks.. im sure i wont like it but if it works i might just brace the turbo and run that downpipe and call it a day.

Im wondering if i will run into my radiator if i run the downpipe on the passenger side with the turbo sticking out so far.

Ill let u guys know what i come up with .. i have a feeling i should just spend the money and get a drivers side exit but im cheap damnit! lol
Sometimes the dp hits the rad or the rad fan. So watch out for that. Nothing wrong with being cheap. Use what u got but think of it like this. If u got to spend money to brace the yutbo why not cut reweld and add some pipe to put your dp on the driver side?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i know you guys will prolli flame me for posting this but im going to anyways lol Here is here is the downpipe im thinkin about getting.. but im wondering if i will have to extend the section after the 1st bend. Maybe someone can confirm this for me?

2.5" T3/T4 TURBO DOWNPIPE+FLEX PASSENGER EXIT HONDA CIVIC '88-00 B16/18 D15/16 | eBay

I mean its not big deal to modify the downpipe if i have to.. im just wondering if anyone has used one of these downpipes with a Cast manifold and it actually fit? lol

Peace, Jason

1 - 20 of 30 Posts