Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2 year old son loves cars, and I mean absolutely in love with cars. And want to get him started early and see where it goes. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as car related things for kids? I was thinking of maybes some kind of racing ? Soapbox racing ? Go carts? Idk I'm in central California I'm open to other ideas aside from racing as well as long as car related. Just want to see what you guys are doing with your kids.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Ive seen 4-5 year olds racing karts. They use some kind of super slow little 4 stroke motors.
A lot of modern professional racers started that way.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
It's hard because he's so young, was going to suggest taking him to one of the slow kart tracks that often accompany batting cages and mini golf and see how he does, but it will be a few years before he can reach the pedals and be strong enough to steer...maybe get him a little big wheel?

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Yeah i would say bring him to go kart centers and start from there. I just started go karting myself and now i'm hooked i want to sell my civic and get a S2000 for road course. Haha

As a matter of fact i almost pick up this ghetto rigged lawn power kart but i have nowhere to store it

Still want to buy my personal go kart

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
My kids showed some interest while running my rc cars. After they. Got a hang of it on low setting. I went and bought a mustang power wheels. Now my youngest is asking for more speed, she slides turns, and tries to drift.

Some kids are able to jump right in. Some step by step. Just progress as fast as you see fit.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
I have the same issue kind of right now with my 5 year old boy he wants a motorcycle but I'm not sure what to get him.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
my daughter was the same way

at 2 years old she out grew her 6v dora ride on quad that got an extra battery and i thought was a bit to dangerous to be honest. with 12 volts that this was wild... got her a hand me down 12v jeep that she quickly mastered at low speed. at 3/4 she outgrew the highspeed and the following summer we bumped that up to 18v. enough to get the jeep to do burnouts and drift. that lasted for a year and at 5 i got her the razor moped which she is still currently cruising on and she is 7.

power wheels are the place to start. yes they can be modded... the jeep at 18v you will have a hard time running it down

79hilux look into the razor dirtbikes...they top out at 13mph and last a good hour....doesnt sound that fast but my daughter doesnt ever top out the moped which is basically the girl version

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Razor also makes a cart. I cant remember the name, but one of my buddies has one, and my 6 year old son cant get enough. Power slides, tries to get air jumping curbs, and I think it hits maybe 10 mph.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
I will look into one thanks for the heads up.
I was kind of either wanting to go Pocket bike or one of those little Choppers.
Not sure if he would like a battery powered dirtbike might look into a 50cc mini bike.
Still have time before his B-day to figure it out.

559Civic I would look into power wheels like the others are saying.
Or if you are good at body work buy a go cart and make a body to fit it with him?

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the power wheels he already uses his older brothers 12v power wheel quad and he already out grew his own 6 volt quad lol those things get pricey to be out growing them so quick. I completely forgot the local arcade has a go car track maybey I'll go over and see what they have going on for when he is a little older

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
have you tried adding the 6v battery from the little quad to the big one....it will do burnouts and go tons faster...

powerwheels can be modded...youtube it

the razor go-cart it technically a drift cart. i was looking to get one for my daughter also

also the electric bikes are alot faster than you would think...she kept up with me until 12-13mph on a 49cc.....actually she may have been faster and its was kinda big for her even at 5yrs old...it would be way to big for a 2 year old....i would look into a craigslist 12v power wheel and toss 24v at it

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have seen people mod the power wheels but honestly I never thought about pulling the 6v out and adding it to the 12v duh! That makes sense since the 6v is just sitting there. Thanks

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
The power wheels get real fast with a motorcyle battery, we have made a few for the nieces/nephews. If you ever get any sort of traction they are bad to strip the gears out inside them (studs in the plastic wheels on dirt will do it lol)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I highly recommend the power wheels route. It's simple and cheap and teaches them the mechanics or driving. My boys John deere tractor went from 12v to 18v to 24v rather quickly. I finally said what the hell and went 28v. I expected to last a few minutes but ended up running it for 3yrs like that. A low to high shift in the grass made use of the wheelie bars I made for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts