Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, something a little different here!

i am currently working on an multimedia centre using a raspberry pi for my 1995 civic! its an on going project and so far i have the software for the multimedia centre (xbmc frodo) raspbain operating system. i am now sorting the radio and navigation. i have a 7 inch touch screen which i will mount into the existing head unit console.

i shall upload some pictures for anyone who is interested!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a theme that will load as the ignition turns on. i will install a reversing camera as well. a gps receiver works with the navigation i installed which is awesome !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
pi connects via hdmi, but you can use vga. you do need a few mods though, the power supply to the screen is a 5v (minimum) 2.1mm jack the pi needs 5v max! the car obviously has a 12v cig lighter port. so a step down is needed. i will get back to you on the navigation software. and yes the touch screen controller connects via usb

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you guys just want xbmc on there i originally used Openelec. can link if requested. Openelec is the only xbmc i found that supports touch screen.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
wow awesome, i always thought a carputer would be dope. something like this is nice because it can be tucked away in the dash or somewhere convenient

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I might scoop up another cubox if this comes out nice. And openelec is great, updated pretty regularly.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
this is going to be anti-climactic, but anymore it's just easier to fab a mount for a cheap tablet than fuck around with your own screen and all.

WinBook TW70CA17 Tablet - Black 466326 - Micro Center

$60, throw a $30 64gb microSD card in there and you're set. I'm posting this reply on the 8" version of that tablet and it's insane how good it is for the money

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is going to be anti-climactic, but anymore it's just easier to fab a mount for a cheap tablet than fuck around with your own screen and all.

WinBook TW70CA17 Tablet - Black 466326 - Micro Center

$60, throw a $30 64gb microSD card in there and you're set. I'm posting this reply on the 8" version of that tablet and it's insane how good it is for the money
lol! its called being different innovative and using a pi for more than just a small pc left in my room doing f all. anyone call get a tablet and mount it in, where is the fun in that ? using bash and Linux to create something unique i think is much better, cheaper too. a decent tablet £200? pi £30. a pi has much better potential than a tablet. you actually implement the software design new aspects not just rely on apple or android to do it for you, hence why i started this thread in the DIY section and not the not "buy not built" section. ( i know this section doesn't exist but just making a point.) you could say that about any d series car on here, why not just buy a skyline r34 GTR? because its about being different and trying new things ultimately cheaper and just as good fun. sorry clearly miss read this forum if this is the attitude of people on here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow awesome, i always thought a carputer would be dope. something like this is nice because it can be tucked away in the dash or somewhere convenient
thanks man yeah it should be awesome when its completed, one thing i will say though is if anyone is thinking about doing this make sure you get a case with a built in fan, the pi will get fucking hot inside a glove box, but with cooling it will be fine :)

·
3,983 Posts
If you're looking for functionality and cost versus spending time on a project, then doing a tablet is a better choice, is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you are missing the point, i know a tablet would be a quicker choice and to someone who just wants a tablet in their car then yeah go for it but why bother? a tablet is portable anyway lol, not cheaper though definitely not. the pi is just better, i will have emulators like ps1 and 2, i love old school games which you just cant get on a tablet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i had this same idea for a wile wanting to do it and load up a version of android on the pi and use it for tunerview and spotify but no good working versions of android for the pi right now. so i figured a tablet is gonna be the best option and am in the middle of that right now.
does it have to be android ? and why ? getting a good xbmc software on there is practically spotify.. with internet dongle obviously. couldnt you just use spotifys web page rather than the app?

·
3,983 Posts
you are missing the point, i know a tablet would be a quicker choice and to someone who just wants a tablet in their car then yeah go for it but why bother? a tablet is portable anyway lol, not cheaper though definitely not. the pi is just better, i will have emulators like ps1 and 2, i love old school games which you just cant get on a tablet.

Read my link- that's a baytrail Windows 8 tablet for $60. Full x86 quad core processor. You've got a $40 raspi and a screen and cabling and a glove box fan and a whole bunch of other nonsense. Don't tell me that setup is cheaper because it's not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
lol windows baytrial. its not very good at all. yes it sounds awesome. microsoft are saying all the right things to make you think that way. the base model £80. thats more than ive spent on the pi project. screen was £35 pi was £30 cables £8. the compatibility of that windows mahcine is junk. even the charger has to be windows usb lmao. you cant even use a normal usb charger. DVDs will only run when the tablet is on battery and when on battery you cant use any other usb ports for anything, including headphones jacks.
btw when the tablet is installed you would have it constantly running off the car power via the usb power supply yes ? good luck watching dvds when the tablet is on mains power. because you cant. lol. also becuase one usb port is being used for charging, you cant you the port for anything else. good lol cant store music on a usb and use it can tstore movies and run them. yes you could use your 32gb sd card but that wouldnt last long for me.
lol if that's not bad enough it has windows 8 as an operating system. shite. don't tell me windows is better that Linux because its just not and i could go into a lot of detail about why not. also most of the money put into designing that tablet focused on the camera..... good luck taking driving selfies. one last thing on bay trial. the satnav doesn't use a satellite at all. they use broadcom... this means the location, time and precision imformation goes through windows locater.. not the industry standard MNEA serial data stream through a virtual com port required by Windows programs like Microsoft Streets and Trips or Delorme Street Atlas.
A company called Centrafuse makes a program called Localizer to fill this gap but that also adds $15 to the cost. The bigger problem is very few consumers will even know there is a gap… until they are in their cars and lost.

yes its a cheap tablet but its also shit.
not hating on you here just saying why are you on the DIY section if you just want to buy something and shove it on the dash, thats not DIY mate. not to me anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i don't get why you are being like this about it, if you don't like the thread don't post on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts