Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
id spend the money on a good one.

most of these products tend to not fit well.

only experience i have with no name carbon is some mirrors i had and they fit like crap. not so bad i wont use them but when it comes to something that needs to seal and keep water out id spend the money and buy a good one that will for sure fit right.

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
I have a "nrg" on my drag car

(please remember I only drive the car on the street may be 1 day a week like a Saturday night rest of time its trailered to the track)

it fits OK
both latches on side fit on but the mold was off a little for the hole for the key hole. (maybe by 1/2 inch) enough I didn't bother with it. the license plate holes were off a tad as well. I was going into it thinking it wasn't going to fit well it fit better than I thought it was going to , to be honest!

I did the same thing on a hood , bought a knock off brand (same I think nrg) bt the fitment is 100% better , just a little flimsy .

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
IMHO you need the weight out of the front, not the back. Don't get me wrong, weight savings is weight savings.

Does it even specify how much weight is saved?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The Stock Hood has the most weight in it.

I have heard of people cutting out the ribbing to save weight on the cheap, I might try with a spare trunk.

I also have a trunk I am cutting a hole in the license plate area and mounting the plate on the bumper to vent through the cabin. So for fitment I really dont give a shit, it's just 4 10mm on a sunny day.

Cool option I might try if it's lighter than a gutted stock trunk.

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
id spend the money on a good one.

most of these products tend to not fit well.

only experience i have with no name carbon is some mirrors i had and they fit like crap. not so bad i wont use them but when it comes to something that needs to seal and keep water out id spend the money and buy a good one that will for sure fit right.
Yea that's what im thinking considering the way most knockoff is crap and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't fit properly

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a "nrg" on my drag car

(please remember I only drive the car on the street may be 1 day a week like a Saturday night rest of time its trailered to the track)

it fits OK
both latches on side fit on but the mold was off a little for the hole for the key hole. (maybe by 1/2 inch) enough I didn't bother with it. the license plate holes were off a tad as well. I was going into it thinking it wasn't going to fit well it fit better than I thought it was going to , to be honest!

I did the same thing on a hood , bought a knock off brand (same I think nrg) bt the fitment is 100% better , just a little flimsy .
I haven't seen any NRG's for sale..yea my car is really gonna be at the track mostly and will see some limited street use..if I can find a good used 'name brand' I may jump on it.

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO you need the weight out of the front, not the back. Don't get me wrong, weight savings is weight savings.

Does it even specify how much weight is saved?
I want to keep most weight up front due to its gonna be hard to keep traction due to power..im trying to cut weight in places due to the added 6 point cage.

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Stock Hood has the most weight in it.

I have heard of people cutting out the ribbing to save weight on the cheap, I might try with a spare trunk.

I also have a trunk I am cutting a hole in the license plate area and mounting the plate on the bumper to vent through the cabin. So for fitment I really dont give a shit, it's just 4 10mm on a sunny day.

Cool option I might try if it's lighter than a gutted stock trunk.
My front end is all new OEM except the hood and its a Certijunk and it really fit well..i was really impressed considering there stuff is hit and miss. I could cut the ribs but then it would be really flimsy.lol..I'm been searching the web to see if I could find any reviews on it but so far nothing.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
If you don't want to cut the ribbing all the way ... take a hole saw too it. You can get lots of it out and still leave some of the structural rigidity.

You should have seen the inner door jambs on the drag car that the shop I go to ran. Looked like swiss cheese.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
If you want just the carbon fiber look, a vinyl rap is cheaper and will have a uniform pattern.

If you are looking to drop weight, I would hope you have a little bit of bodywork experience. Unless you buy from the big brand names, chances of a good fitment are usually slim, even on cars that were sold in the millions like civics.

Kaizenspeed still makes their chromoly tubular front and rear arms and braces. the rear trailing arm tubing alone drops around 50 pounds of unsprung weight, a serious advantage while having fun around a track or driving spiritedly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts