Honda D Series Forum banner

Carbon hood cloudy problem

855 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  flatfourfan 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I bought this carbon fibre laminated hood 2nd hand. It was evening time and it looked ok. But during the day i can see cloudy white patches which cannot be polished out. Is there anyway to restore it to the shiny finish again?

What is causing this cloudy white patches?

it looks great when viewing from top to bottom, but when viewed front bottom to top ( heads on) you can clearly see the patchy area.

Any ideas please?

Will using a heat air gun on the patches help?

#3 ·
Try getting it color sanded, that's what I have to do every so often, and it ends up looking like new...hope this helps!

#4 ·
it may be a section of the resin that hasnt bonded properly, if so you may have to sand off the to layer and have it re resined, try giving the whole hood a sand with wet on dry sandpaper, like 800 or 1500 grit. it may fix the problem. good luck, hope you didnt pay too much for it

#6 ·
Color sand?

Sorry, what is color sanding?

I have tried the wet sanding with 1500, but it helped with the surface scratches and gave it nice glass finish. But the inside cloudiness is still there, damn. Maybe I need to coat it or something. Does normal car paint stick to the resin?

I paid around USD 150 for the bonnet.

#7 ·
color sanding is basically sanding the top layer with a super fine sandpaper just enough to even the color or in your case the resin. colorsand it enough to get the spots out then take a nice buffer and buff it back to mirror shine. :) 150 for a used cf hood is not to shabby.

#8 ·
Apex001 said:
color sanding is basically sanding the top layer with a super fine sandpaper just enough to even the color or in your case the resin. colorsand it enough to get the spots out then take a nice buffer and buff it back to mirror shine. :) 150 for a used cf hood is not to shabby.
Thanks...beat me to it! ;-)

#9 ·
I'd even sand it down a bit further, don't coat it with resin again as this will only add to your problems. Sand it down further and then clear coat the whole bonnet again. What it sounds like is a problem that has occured during the making of the bonnet and either the bonnet didn't set long enough or not enough resin was used in the curing process............

If you want to paint it, then you'll have to sand off all the clear coat and a lot of that resin.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.