Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so let me start off by saying I haven't posted on here since Febuary, and I've changed jobs and broke up with girlfriends and moved back in with my parents and have been saving money... Off topic, I know.

I was planning on building my d16z6 with a d15b head... times changed. I know this is dso, and all about the d-series... BUT I've been thinking about the dohc lately. Specifically the obd1 jdm b16a. I'm looking at getting the swap soon, and was thinking of boosting it with one of the CARB legal Del Sol b16 turbo kits...

The problem I'm seeing is that you can't pass smog with a chipped ecu apparently (maybe it's a gray area)... but I was thinking if that is the case, when I get the swap it will come with the jdm ecu. I'm already planning on getting the usdm p30 ecu for smog purposes (so I'll have the jdm one as a "spare").

Question being, hypothetically of course, if I get the swap and get it BAR'd, THEN go turbo, if I swap the tuned ecu out and oversized injectors back to "stock" would it pass?

I really want to go dohc turbo. I haven't had a turbo car yet, and I miss my b16b I had in my 91 crx si.

I kind of expect to catch a lot of shit for this question, but I can't seem to find an answer online. I just want to know will a fully bar'd b16a be able to pass smog with a turbo, IF come smog time I swap the tuned ecu for the stock one and downsize the injectors?

I appreciate any and all answers in advance. And I know in order to get it bar'd there's like an extra $1,000 of parts I need aside from the swap itself (harness, ecu, I.M., T.B., Cat, blah blah blah...)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, if this doesn't belong in the F.I. sectioin feel free to move it to the appropriate forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
B16A's are illegal in California. OBD0, OBD1, OBD2... ALL B16A

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Specifically the obd1 jdm b16a. I'm looking at getting the swap soon, and was thinking of boosting it with one of the CARB legal Del Sol b16 turbo kits...

The problem I'm seeing is that you can't pass smog with a chipped ecu apparently (maybe it's a gray area)... but I was thinking if that is the case, when I get the swap it will come with the jdm ecu. I'm already planning on getting the usdm p30 ecu for smog purposes (so I'll have the jdm one as a "spare").

Question being, hypothetically of course, if I get the swap and get it BAR'd, THEN go turbo, if I swap the tuned ecu out and oversized injectors back to "stock" would it pass?
if the chassis is obd1, you can pass 'smog' with a chipped ecu.
very few swaps get BAR'd, they get sold on cragslist if the owner gets sent to the state ref. thats why swapped civics sell for less the bone stock ones. (they need to be BAR'd or returned to stock before they can be registered again).
step 1: swap in completely stock USDM b16 with USDM ecu and all emissions eq intact and working properly
step 2: get it 'smogged'
step 3: take it to state ref with smog cert, bill of sale for USDM b16, title of car, etc, to get the chassis BAR'd
step 4: swap in the engine of your choice, with 'performance adders' and tune.
step 5: impress ricers while hanging out in parking lots after hours with your awesome street racing stories.
step 6: keep USDM b16 and emissions eq in your parents garage for when the police man pulls you over, 'pops' your hood and see lots of shiny parts and sentd you back to the state ref.
step 7: repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was thinking either Greddy, or Edelbrock. I've heard people passing with the obd1 jdm b16a, you just have to swap engine harness for a usdm gsr one, get the map sensor on the throttle body, new oem cat, new o2 sensor, usdm dohc del sol ecu, and a skunk2 intake mani... Pretty much it has to have all the equipment as the del sol had. That's not a problem to get, and I know I can get it bar'd cause a buddy of mine got it done. My question isn't bar'ing it, it's about passing smog with turbo - that is what the really sketchy part is.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
if the chassis is obd1, you can pass 'smog' with a chipped ecu.
very few swaps get BAR'd, they get sold on cragslist if the owner gets sent to the state ref. thats why swapped civics sell for less the bone stock ones. (they need to be BAR'd or returned to stock before they can be registered again).
step 1: swap in completely stock USDM b16 with USDM ecu and all emissions eq intact and working properly
step 2: get it 'smogged'
step 3: take it to state ref with smog cert, bill of sale for USDM b16, title of car, etc, to get the chassis BAR'd
step 4: swap in the engine of your choice, with 'performance adders' and tune.
step 5: impress ricers while hanging out in parking lots after hours with your awesome street racing stories.
step 6: keep USDM b16 and emissions eq in your parents garage for when the police man pulls you over, 'pops' your hood and see lots of shiny parts and sentd you back to the state ref.
step 7: repeat as necessary.
Almost, Step 2 and 3 are backwards. Must get the motor bar'd into the chasiss, as a 95 Del Sol DOHC, then go to get smogged. All the ref will do is give you a label with bar code upon finishing your inspection after he has deemed all your smog equipment to be installed. While at the ref, they will also check your ECU code, so make sure you have a p30.

Also, as far as usig a B16a. NO DICE, CA stopped accepting JDM motors as legit swaps i believe it was Jan 1 2011. Your best bet, IF you wanna run DOHC, is get a B16a3 out of a Del Sol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CaliLegal: Are you f***ing serious? Even if it has all the exact equipment as an usdm oem car? I need to call a ref station. There's too much outdated news on the internet, and laws change too frequently... This is some bull. I refuse to swap a B16a3 because it's not worth having to change all my shit to obd2. It almost makes me want to rebuild my D16z6 block with my D15b head, and just go sohc turbo. My D16y7 block/ D15b head combo passed smog easy peasy, and I didn't have to bother going through the state refs. I just wanted the jdm swap so my whole drivetrain had less than 230,xxx miles. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.... Damnit. What the hell should I do? Any suggestions then, if that is the case? Cause I really wanted my jdm shit.

So even though the obd1 b16a2 came in the EG chassis, the j-spec obd1 b16a with all usdm emissions equipment is STILL ILLEGAL? Are you sure it just doesn't matter what side of the bed the ref woke up on? Can you link to anything that says it's illegal? Cause the last I heard was if it came in the chassis then it's fine, with the exception of the B20s... My mind is totally cluster f***ed right now.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Also, as far as usig a B16a. NO DICE, CA stopped accepting JDM motors as legit swaps i believe it was Jan 1 2011.
Like I said; Illiegal.

OP: If you are really serious about this concept, I reccomend taking a current smog course so you know what you are up against.

Anyone who has ever been to LA or Sacramento on a nice overcast day should understand why we need smog laws in CA. There are plenty of legal choices for performance applications, you just have to do it right.

As they say; it's the name of the game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts