Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 HB, 93 Legend
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so first of all I'm back and ready to hopefully start posting again after I get my car fixed.

I got this car back after I sold it a few years ago. It has seen better days for sure and when I got it back I even posted here ready to tackle the repairs needed. I got it functional, drove it a while and then it sat for 6 months.

Today I got it registered and went to pull it out of my driveway when it died. Everytime I would start it it would die at random intervals and the main relay would click while dying and after.

This problem was never an issue before I parked it 6 months ago.

I know that it is most likely just the main relay finally took a shit after being re-soldered once about 4 yrs ago.

My question to you guys is what could I be missing as a possible cause of my situation?

I didn't spend any time researching because I'm on an old phone and I'm getting g ready for bed before work in the am.

The car is an 89 civic hatch with a built mpfi d16z6 swap. Details are in my build post.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
Ignition switch is an issue, but mine shows up as a no prime/no crank when it acts up. I know when it gets worse just a bump in the road will kill the power.

380K miles....

·
Registered
89 HB, 93 Legend
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks transzex, I was hoping you or one of the other site vets would chime in.

A little more info for anyone else that wants to take a guess for me to check.

I can start the car right back up after it dies with no problem sometimes the CEL will come on though aND it will be running really rough.

Sometimes when I am sitting idle it will just die at random intervals, makes checking anything a bitch.

When I am driving stepping on the gas has caused it to cut out, same with speed bumps. After it has warmed up for about 30 min it doesn't die nearly as often, if at all. (haven't done enough testing)

The car has about 265k to 290k (broken odo) miles on it. The engine has around 60k since the rebuild.

Any stabs in the dark if at all related will help give me starting points to check. I'm so out of practice when it comes to diagnosis.

Thanks again in advance guys.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
If it fires right back up it's likely the ignition switch. If it is more reliable when warm, that's probably from the contacts heating up, expanding, and making a better contact. Everything else such as main relay or ignitor are the reverse - better cold, worse warm.

You may have a 2nd issue if the CEL comes on. My guess is some moisture created some slight corrosion in both the switch and something in the engine bay to cause the occasional CEL. Does it ever give you an actual code?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts