Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first some history on the car: I just bought it like three weeks ago and right before I bought it the guy said he changed out the fuel pump cause It wasnt workin right. Another thing is that its throwing code 6 (engine coolant temperature sensor) but it still ran fine. So I drove it home today in allitle ice and everything seemed normal. I noticed I was low on oil so I went out an bought some. About an hour after I put it in I went to start it and it turned over but wouldnt start. I tried jump starting it with cables and a rollin start but nothin happend. Any help would be nice as this I my daily driver.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Info? Model, year, engine.

Does it crank? Pull your plugs, see if they look ok. Look at where the head mates to the block and where the valve cover gasket mates with the head, is there lots of fresh gunk leaking out? What exactly happens when you try to turn it over?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 89 civic SI, the plugs look to be fine and theres no fresh gunk, when I put the key to the ON position it click when the CEL goes on and kinda whines for like 5 seconds and then it clicks agian and the CEL goes off. when i turn the key all the way it'll crank but it just wont start.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
fuel, spark, air.
the click-whine sound should be your fuel pump priming the system. So fuel should be ruled out. (unless your fuel tank is empty.)
check spark and air?

-ic

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Check for any intake clogs. Check your air filter, replace if it's dirty.

Fuel filter? Have you checked your dizzy cap and rotor? All fluids topped off? Coolant in good shape? All bolts tight on the engine, TB, IM, etc? Check for anything thats unplugged (sensors, hoses, wires, etc).

Thats all I can think of right now. You'll probably have to check all your valves on the intake system and make sure you are getting good spark. Something has to be out of place if it's not starting.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Good thought to check on plugs and sensors. I've spent hours before trying to get my car to start/whatever because I forget to plug in a stupid wire/sensor after I do some engine work.
Those old wires do crack and break off right at the plugs sometimes because of the underhood environment. (Moisture, oil/grease, high temps.) My wire harness is from an '89 CRX, and I've had this happen more than once as well.

-ic

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i pulled my plugs and and number 3 was all black and had little bit of gunk on it and then i tested the plugs and it wasnt giving any spark. i pulled off the distributor cap and i cant really tell what to look for if its bad or not. can anyone gimme allitle insight on what to look for?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
not to sure about the distributor, but the spark plug...does it look black, and is the gunk smell of gas, oil, or both? if it's black and has oil and gas, then you are burning cold, and have a oil leak, most likly is the piston rings, because you probably also have low compression in that cylinder. if there is no oil and it is all gas, but it is black then you are just burning cold, and i would assume something is not sealing all the way, possibly a vavle, because your compression is probably low, if the compression is fine on that cyclinder then, *shrug* but if the spark plug is black your burning cold.(probably to much gas) hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts