1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put a bullet or 10 in my hatchback. =\

Here's the situation.
A few weeks ago i got an A6 cam for my d15b7, used the Y8 cam gear and everything worked great. Took my B7 camshaft to Delta for some 272 lovin while i messed around with the A6 cam. A day or 2 after i installed the A6 cam i adjusted the valve lash because the ticking was starting to piss me off. Afterwords i started having a rough idle like one plug wasn't firing, after trying to figure it out i blamed the distributor so i bought one off a member here and i drove my girlfriends RSX to school every day thinking the dizzy would fix it when i got it.

I installed the 272 camshaft 2 days ago and after installing it and doing the valve lash, it wouldn't start. If i gave it a bunch of gas it would, but it sounds like one of those old hot rods with huge camshafts, ya know (dug dug dug dug dug dug) and if i let off the gas, it dies. Before with the A6 camshaft, it started, just didn't run as smooth as i wanted it too.

I got the distributor today and bought a brand new cap and rotor for it just for insurance. It still won't stay running unless i give it a bunch of gas, and it seems to only be working on 1 cylinder, badly too. I pulled the plugs after i had my foot on the gas for a minute to check for fuel / smoke / anything. #1 cylinder was wet with gas, #2 wet with gas, #3 smoking/not wet but smelled fuel, and #4 wet with gas.

I pulled my injector plugs, plugged in my spark plugs to the wires and placed them on the exhaust header to check for spark as my friend cranked the engine. All 4 are sparking beautifully.

I'm suspecting its the timing, but i've done my timing many times and its always ran. Cam gear horizontal to the head, white mark on the crank pully under the arrow thing (might go out and do the timing by the oil pump arrow instead of crank pully in a little bit, just gonna take a break for now) Turned the engine a few times and tightened the belt, double checked the marks and it was fine.

Valve lash is set at .009 ex and .007 intake. Did it from cylinder 1>3>4>2 turning the pulley accordingly. It seems a little loose right now though after putting in new cam holder o-rings, but it should still start being a little loose.

Are there any tips/tricks to using the delta 272 cam? Any difference in timing i need to know about? I can't keep driving my GF's RSX, i don't fit in it very well / she doesn't want me driving it forever, its hers.

Any help would be freakin awesome.
I have a few cases of budweiser, a half bottle of J&B, and some crappy rum if krychek wants to come over and help a noob out =P

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
If you weren't in WA, I'd be there. I could use some cold brew while I work on someone elses car. Helps me relax, because it ain't my problem. You know what I am sayin'?

Check all your grounds. Especially the ones that connect to the VC and the Head, or add one. Move the dizzy around. Change the fuel filter. Make damn sure that when you pulled the plug wires that the ends didn't come off of the wire. (You should know what I am refering to.) Check the Valve lash again. Is the .007 and .009 what Delta recomends? Change your plugs. I'm just kickin' ideas around.

DO post what fixes it tho.

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
Good catch. Make sure you are using the B7 gear and not the Y8 gear.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you weren't in WA, I'd be there. I could use some cold brew while I work on someone elses car. Helps me relax, because it ain't my problem. You know what I am sayin'?

Check all your grounds. Especially the ones that connect to the VC and the Head, or add one. Move the dizzy around. Change the fuel filter. Make damn sure that when you pulled the plug wires that the ends didn't come off of the wire. (You should know what I am refering to.) Check the Valve lash again. Is the .007 and .009 what Delta recomends? Change your plugs. I'm just kickin' ideas around.

DO post what fixes it tho.
Lol i totally understand, i like helping friends with their cars, but when i have a problem i get really pissed. The wires are good, i actually took the rubber parts off and set them aside because i thought they were causing the wires to not make a connection, but they're fine. Changed spark plugs last week with NGK's and gapped them to what the book says. I just e-mailed delta asking if thats the lash they recommend to double check

how did you install the b7 regrind? stock cam gear right? just making sure. sounds like your timing is way off.
Stock cam gear. Yup yup

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
Wait...what cam gear are you using on the B7 regrind?
You should be using your B7 gear..

EDIT - nevermind...I see it was addressed.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys.

Jon from delta messaged me back, its supposed to be .006/.008, and i had it a little loose, so i'm off pretty far on that, but that shouldn't make it not start.

Just got the crank pulley and timing cover off to do the timing off the oil pump instead of crank pulley.

Holy cow i wish i had an impact gun, that'd make the crank pulley 10x easier.

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

Jon from delta messaged me back, its supposed to be .006/.008, and i had it a little loose, so i'm off pretty far on that, but that shouldn't make it not start.

Just got the crank pulley and timing cover off to do the timing off the oil pump instead of crank pulley.

Holy cow i wish i had an impact gun, that'd make the crank pulley 10x easier.
You can have my Impact it does not do crap I need a stronger one LOL

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might want to do a compression test..
I'll head out and do that now.

After reinstalling the crankpulley / double checking the spark plug wires and trying to start it, it was only firing on one cylinder again, but this time it was number 1, and i didn't switch any wires "they were correct".

i jumped the service connector under the glove box and i have a solid check engine light, i'm pretty sure thats how its supposed to be though. No CEL's when the service connector isn't jumped.

I might try a different ECU, i have a p28 laying around, its not the correct one, but it might tell me something.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
You can have my Impact it does not do crap I need a stronger one LOL
I hear that. I need a 1" and a new gasket for my compressor so I can
get some higher PSI.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to be clarify, you did re-lash the valves right?
Yea, .008 ex, .006 in. Had the feeler gauge in there, screwed down till it was snug, tightened the nut, double checked with .010 ex, .008 intake, they were really tough to get in with the bigger sizes double checking it. So, yea, pretty sure its correct. TDC, #1 > #3 > #4 > #2. Had a coat hanger in the spark plug hole to make sure it was TDC for each piston.

Is your ecu tuned? My 272 will not idle on a stock tune (d16a6) It's way rich. Oh, and it also "ticks"
Bone stock P06. I do have a p28 that i'm about to try, but the map thats on it was for my 76mm p29 mini me build, so i dunno how well it'll work.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Bone stock P06. I do have a p28 that i'm about to try, but the map thats on it was for my 76mm p29 mini me build, so i dunno how well it'll work.
Yep, Mine would not idle on a stock p06 tune. It would run at about 1500-2000 rpm if I held the throttle open a bit.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, Mine would not idle on a stock p06 tune. It would run at about 1500-2000 rpm if I held the throttle open a bit.
Sounds a little like mine, but even holding the throttle open, it doesn't sound how its supposed to sound. Its all rough because it either seems like the plugs aren't firing, or there's too much fuel going in.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts