Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok over the weekend me and an ase certified mechanic buddy, pulled my old d15z1 that ran perfectly, to swap in a fresh d15z1 block with a d16z6 head. everything was done correctly timing wise, etc. well the motor is in, we are happy, because it was getting cold outside. we double check everything to make sure all the connections are good, and then i went to start it. when i tried starting it, it sounded like the battery was dead, because the starter was just cranking VERY slowly, like the battery had almost no juice left. so we tried putting jumper cables on, still no luck did the same thing. so we gave up for the night, and the next day, i went out and got a new battery. we tried to start it up again, and the same thing happened. just VERY slow cranking. we double checked all the grounds etc, tried once more, same thing. anyone got any ideas? im stumped. :neutral:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the tranny was fine, and when we set the timing, we turned the crank and it turned as free as the old motor when it was pulled out. :( now i dont know what to do. i guess i will have to take it somewhere and pay an out rageous fee

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
no. Trial and error. If your not throwing codes, dont worry about it

Did you hook up the ground for the block to the body?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah which ground are you talkin about im pretty sure i got all of em...the one that goes from frame to block by where PS would be, and the one that goes from tranny to frame and then another ground that attatches to the spot right around the lower radiator hose connection on the head....

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
How long had the "new" motor been sitting? It have all new fluids and plugs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeha i filled it with all new fluids and new plugs and wires, did a complete tune up on it before i put it in, it had been sitting for about a week and a half thanks for everyones input though! ill just go try doublechecking everything again!

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Sounds to me like a current problem. Assuming you know the starter motor to be good, I'd clean all your ground connections as well as the power terminal to the starter motor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know how you feel . I had the same problem right after a fresh swap. It turn out that it was a ground connection problem. I'll check all the connections and i'm pretty sure it'll start. I've spent 2 days before founding out. GL. Don't bring it anywhere before you've tried everything you can do yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok everyone i thought i would update you all. i got desperate and took the supposed good working starter from my last motor, and took it to autozone, to have it tested. Turns out the starter was bad. lucky me i guess, because right when i put a good starter on there, it started right up. now for some reason i just have a small coolant leak comming off of the big black coolant line on the back of the block. look slike its dripping out of a very small hole that a hose is supposed to go on.....hmmm....other than that, its running just like a good running honda should! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts