Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know what is going on here. I just started the car yesterday and it ran fine. I went out to start it today and this is what I got. It wont start unless you floor it and if you let off the gas it dies. Does anybody have any idea whats wrong. I reset the ecu, checked all the fuses, checked the plug wires and every other connection under the hood. It just runs like really bad and I have no idea what could of caused it because the car ran fine yesterday. Any ideas would be great. Thanks guys.

PS I was running the camera and my wife was starting the car and she kept on trying to start it even after it was running.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
dont u have an adjustable cam gear on that car???

id check that cus it sounds like it out of timing

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cam is set to zero but it does sound like it skipped time. It ran fine yesterday and all I did was start it in the driveway. I never drove it or revved it just let it run some then shut it off and now its doing this. I'm gonna check the timing and see whats up with that. I always have problems with the tensioner not getting tight enough on this engine for some reason so that is most likely the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The cam is set to zero but it does sound like it skipped time. It ran fine yesterday and all I did was start it in the driveway. I never drove it or revved it just let it run some then shut it off and now its doing this. I'm gonna check the timing and see whats up with that. I always have problems with the tensioner not getting tight enough on this engine for some reason so that is most likely the problem.
lol if i had known you had that issue that would have been my first guess.:mikej:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I reset the timing and I am 100% it is right. The car wont start at all now. I am getting no spark at all. I think the dizzy took a shit on me. I put a timing light on the plug wires and am getting nothing.

Is there a way to test the dizzy and see if that is the cause. What else on the ignition system could be wrong besides the dizzy?

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Well I reset the timing and I am 100% it is right. The car wont start at all now. I am getting no spark at all. I think the dizzy took a shit on me. I put a timing light on the plug wires and am getting nothing.

Is there a way to test the dizzy and see if that is the cause. What else on the ignition system could be wrong besides the dizzy?
your getting nothing because the timing light will only work when the engine is running. does it try to turn over?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine cranks over but does not fire at all. Is there a way to test the ignitor?

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
it is a ignition problem , but that is a broad range of things, from dizzy to timing belt, or a combo of things. figure out the no spark and go from there.

·
Registered
93 civic dx
797 Posts
i dont know if there is a spefic way to test -- but if your cap and rotor is good and all your wires are ok then i would definalty think that what it could be they are like 60-70 bucks from autozone-- but if you go there and ask for that they may not know what you are talking about you have to ask for an ignition control module

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just tested the ignitor the way the manual says to do it and according to my results it is bad and needs replaced. Ill try to replace it and see what happens. I dont have the money for one right now though.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok ran down and bought a new ignitor and put it in and still the car does not fire at all.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I returned the new ignitor and got a different one and Im getting spark now but the car still isnt firing. I know the timing it right. I dont know what is going on. The car ran fine two days ago then went to where it barley ran and now it doesnt start at all.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Should have just got a whole "new" reman dizzy. You'll be going here and there looking for parts when a new one is probably all it'll be. $110 on Ebay... GL man!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts