Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a small problem I have a 97 civic dx coupe with the y7 engine. While driving the car will randomly shut off and then it'll start up again instantly...simple as that. Some times but very rarely it will simply turn off and I'll have to park on to the side and crank till she fires.. it'll take aprox 1 min for it start.

If it helps it has a short ram intake with a stock exhaust and it will sometimes pop or afterfire... Running rich maybe? Causing the plugs to get soaked in fuel? I dunno...

Another thing is that it's only the engine that shuts off radio, lights dash and sensors still work like as if it's only the spark plugs

another thing to add if it helps is that the first oxygen sensor is burnt out so I have a check engine light on only for that....

so thanks for reading and does any body have any ideas...?

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
i would check contacts on the ignition.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
The ignition switch has a service bulletin for random shut off. But most cars where repaired back in 01/02, never the less it could be acting up again. Not so certain a main relay would be a cause, since the relay isnt active once the car is on. If the car still required to stand for a bit before the car would turn on, I would lean more towards the distributor. At this point, really think its just the ignition switch. Have fun with that one, and dont blow the main fuse.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
Ignition key assembly...

Kirk
thank you, that's exactly what i was trying to say. english as a second language sometimes fails me :)

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Had a failing icm in the dizzy cause this on my 94 hatchback

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok it's not the ignition switch... Let me try being more specific

1. when driving and in gear car will make one sudden jerk but will keep on going only when I have my foot on the gas pedal

2. When I'm driving and in gear but with my foot off the gas pedal (engine braking) the car will jerk and shut off
-sometimes if I keep it in gear and I simply turn the key from on to acc to on again itll start up

-sometimes if switching it off won't help I ll have to park the car and crank till she fires

3. If I'm at a low speed and in a high gear for example going 15mph in 3rd the car and if I easeoff the gas pedal and then floor it the car will jerk and will shut off

The o2 sensor was relaced but now there's a o2 effiency code on... I have spark and fuel. There's something but I can't pinpoint what might be the problem

A friend of mine told me that the circuit board where all the fuses are mounted under the dash some times fail so I'll have to check that

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
The ignition switch has a service bulletin for random shut off. But most cars where repaired back in 01/02, never the less it could be acting up again. Not so certain a main relay would be a cause, since the relay isnt active once the car is on. If the car still required to stand for a bit before the car would turn on, I would lean more towards the distributor. At this point, really think its just the ignition switch. Have fun with that one, and dont blow the main fuse.

?????????? Yes it is. It supplies power to the ecu, injectors and fuel pump.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same issue. It was my main relay!

Figured that out after I replaced the ignition switch assembly. heh.
I am going with main relay as well. Was battling this over the summer and replaced both the distributor and ignition switch, but did not fix the issue. Ended up being the relay. I think I paid around $50 for the relay. It is located right behind the glove box.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I had a similar issue. Recently. As Danz said, check the relay but also look for oil on the plugs from bad vc seals. That's what happened to mine recently. Still gotta change those out btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you replace the main relay yet?

I didnt get so good by being wrong all the time. :p
No haven't had the time but today it stalled on a light so I let it rolled into a parking lot and I checked for spark and none (just by UN plugging one of the wires and hearing a spark) so I decided to double check stuffed a screw driver in the plug wire placed it on the block and had someone crank and wham it started right up like nothing happened...

Also even it was a bad relay wouldn't the car malfunction all the time.. not just randomly

Also last full tank I added Lucas tune up bottle and the stall stopped at about 3/4 tank all the way till I filled up the tank again so it might be a bad gas problem?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I am going with main relay as well. Was battling this over the summer and replaced both the distributor and ignition switch, but did not fix the issue. Ended up being the relay. I think I paid around $50 for the relay. It is located right behind the glove box.
I don't know why anyone would replace the main relay, just get a soldering iron and some solder and re-flow the connections on the back. It takes like 2 mins + the time for the iron to heat up.

If you want to be cheap you can pick up a wired 40 watt iron and solder for $20 bucks at radio shack.

I prefer my Weller P2KC butane soldering iron like this one:

Weller P2KC Professional Self-igniting Cordless Butane Soldering Iron Kit - Amazon.com

There are better soldering irons for doing precision work, but if you regularly work on cars that thing is a godsend. I have had 2 in the last 10 years, and the first one only got replaced because someone stole it.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I don't know why anyone would replace the main relay, just get a soldering iron and some solder and re-flow the connections on the back. It takes like 2 mins + the time for the iron to heat up.

If you want to be cheap you can pick up a wired 40 watt iron and solder for $20 bucks at radio shack.

I prefer my Weller P2KC butane soldering iron like this one:

Weller P2KC Professional Self-igniting Cordless Butane Soldering Iron Kit - Amazon.com

There are better soldering irons for doing precision work, but if you regularly work on cars that thing is a godsend. I have had 2 in the last 10 years, and the first one only got replaced because someone stole it.

The main relay on an EK is not the same as EG and EF and Accord ones. It has two micro relays inside of it and "reflowing" it does nothing, at least, it did nothing for mine. Those solder joints are not the source of failure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts