Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an a6/z6 turbo minime with vitaras and rods. the car will overheat when i get on the highway, but only when i get on the highway. I can baby it all the way to the highway and not hit boost once and it will overheat either way.

Things done to try and fix the problem:
replaced thermostat
checked all lines for blockage
bled and flushed coolant system to get all of the gunk and then air out of the line.

changed headgasket with new honda oem gasket, found out an ARP head stud was busted, they sent new ones for free, put them in and it didnt change a thing.

I'm running out of ideas and patience with this thing. I love my D but it is getting old fast. Please help

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
This is a common problem with b-series people. Seems putting in a larger radiator solves the problem. Might want to give that a shot.

·
Registered
836 Posts
did you check to see if the lower hose is getting hot? (coolant flow)
what plugs are you running?
you may be running lean under boost too. what are you using for fuel management?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the hoses are getting hot, there is no blockage. I am using NGK plugs that are 2 steps colder, it is a single core radiator, i am using crome

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had the same exact problem man, my car would get hot highway driving not even under boost, mainly going uphill. Does your intercooler cover almost the entire grill section on your front bumper? Im going to bet it does and that your running a stock radiator. Here's what you need to do....if you have any foglights mounted up front take them off and buy an aftermarket radiator like a Fluidyne. Your stock rad is small to begin with and its starving for air because of the FMIC. I took out my JDM foglights, dropped in a Fluidyne rad. and a FAL fan and it works perfectly, the temp gauge never moves.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i definitely notice it going uphill also, i have a johnny racecar 6 inch so it covers everything up, couldnt get the foglights back in but i will go get a larger radiator soon now

·
Registered
96 Posts
yeah i had similar problems w/ just my zc...i radiator was effed & the sad part was that it's only 1.5yrs old. so w/ $110 rad. later the car is running fine now. good luck

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anyone know what honda/acura oem radiator would be a good upgrade, i should be able to acquire anything honda/Acura, and wuold be able to get myself the hook up on something oem, but i dont want to buy two radiators for no reason either

1 - 20 of 32 Posts