Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a funky thing that started up this winter. Here's what it takes to start the car when its under 20 degrees out:
-Crank the car for 10 seconds. Let starter cool for a few seconds.
-Crank car again. It putt-putt starts up and shakes before dying five seconds later. When trying to run here it reads 5 pounds positive manifold pressure and makes duck-like "quack quack" sounds.
-Crank car with gas to the floor. Car putt-putt starts then finally catches and starts up.

Now, how the blazes can I be reading five psi in the manifold on a naturally aspirated car? (I use a vac/boost gauge because I'm planning for boost later)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm certain the throttle plate doesn't freeze. I had to replace a defective throttle cable before and that works well.

It's acting like it's not getting spark or something.

Haven't floored it first though, but I shy away from that due to cold oil. Which reminds me-- it has to sit in the cold for 8-10 hours before it'll do this, otherwise it starts perfectly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you gas tank level is below 1/2 it will be hard to start. The lower the gas level the harder it will be for it to start for a cold start up. Crank time will be longer.

·
Want access???
98 Hx Coupe
12,304 Posts
if you gas tank level is below 1/2 it will be hard to start. The lower the gas level the harder it will be for it to start for a cold start up. Crank time will be longer.
This is new to me....:noway:

But kinda make sense seeing if your tank is emty ..your car wont start at all....LOL :D :alky:

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is new to me....:noway:

But kinda make sense seeing if your tank is emty ..your car wont start at all....LOL :D :alky:
If you think about it. And this is picticularly talking about extreme cold weather unlike what i face here in florida. :) tempatures like this can effect a hard starting problem that you might think is abnormal but is not. This is my theroy of course but it does make sense. There are alot of variables in cold weather that can make a engine crank longer then what it would crank in the warmer tempatures. Now if this wasn't doing this before in the same enabled criterias then I would continue to troubleshoot all posabilties. :)

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,444 Posts
try a fresh tank of gas with some of that water remover for gasoline. im guessing you have ice forming in there, and the fuel gets warmed up from running the car.

i cant think of why havin a low amount of fuel would hurt though...

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you don't think this is normal, then pull your main relay and check the circuit board for any cracks on the solder points. That can cause a hard start.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,444 Posts
then pull your main relay and check the circuit board for any cracks on the solder points. That can cause a hard start.
opposite probelm, remeber he said once it warms then it starts normal.
a realy going out wouldnt want to start once it's been heated.

if the water remover doesnt work then i dont have a clue

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been doing it for months, many tanks of gas.

Did find the problem, I think. Cheapo timing light I had used apparently isn't accurate. I aimed for 14 degrees. It was more like 17. Wish I'd have caught it sooner cuz I last changed my timing in the summer. My best guess is that it was backfiring up into the IM off one cylinder for some reason.

Backed it off to 10, most vibration gone in the car, got a little more vacuum at cruise, and it starts beautifully.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,444 Posts
there is no way your ignition timing is that far off. you dont have any control over the cold start timing.
you havent changed the timing belt this year and maybe got it a tooth off?:beer:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd messed with the timing a bunch of times, just fooling with it to see what difference it made. I'm weird like that ;-) . I meant to set it to 14, but I was using dad's timing light and apparently it isn't right.

Timing belt changed years ago and it's not a tooth off.

I heard pinging the day I set it back to 10 degrees...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts