Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am having some issues with my car. It is a 1998 civic Ex. This happened right after I replaced my transmission. I accidentally started my car without attaching the transmission ground. I turned the car off then attached the ground. The next day I was driving to school and all seemed fine. However, on my way back home my car turned off while driving. I pulled over on the side of the road and waited 10 minutes and it started back up. Then while driving, it would keep shutting off, but I would be able to restart it right away. Now the fuel pump primes sometimes and other times it won't. Car will crank over and all of the lights are lit when the car shuts off.

I've replaced the main relay, ignition switch, I tested to see if the fuel pump primes while jumping 1-7 and 6-7. When the fuel pump doesn't prime, I'm getting about 7v to the fuel pump. I checked the grounds and power going to the ecu and with the key on, I'm getting 12v. I'm not sure what's wrong.

It's as if the car stops sending power to the fuel pump.

Do you guys think it's the ecu? This is a chipped ecu tuned on crome so it would be difficult for me to get a hold of another one.

Thanks in advance. This is my only vehicle and it sucks because I had to miss my first day of class and work. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Happen to my friend. Would cut off and start back after a few mins then shut off, no start for a while then start and run for a while.
Turn out to be a bad dizzy.

Now your problem could be that.

As far as the fuel pump. The ecu connects to the main rely then the main rely supplys the fuel pump with power.
Put a voltmeter inline of the fuel pump wire and watch what happens. It could be a bad feed wire.

Yiu said u get 7v which means the ecu is still outputing to the main relay

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happen to my friend. Would cut off and start back after a few mins then shut off, no start for a while then start and run for a while.
Turn out to be a bad dizzy.

Now your problem could be that.

As far as the fuel pump. The ecu connects to the main rely then the main rely supplys the fuel pump with power.
Put a voltmeter inline of the fuel pump wire and watch what happens. It could be a bad feed wire.

Yiu said u get 7v which means the ecu is still outputing to the main relay
When the fuel pump primes it is at 12V. I used a voltmeter to see if there was power going to the fuel pump after it shut off and got 7V.

I haven't looked into the dizzy yet, but can that cause the fuel pump to not prime sometimes?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I solved it guys, or atleast I think. I was going over the main relay again to make sure I got all the right readings. While I was doing that I found 2 wires that were exposed. Looked as if someone spliced it and taped them back together. So I trace the wires back and it's the srs airbag wires. I did some research and when the airbag deploys, the fuel pump shuts down as a safety feature. So I clean up the wires and check the fuses and start the car. It stays running and I leave it running for an hour. While I wait I take the voltage of the main relay going to the fuel pump. 13-14v. I haven't driven it yet but I will later today. I think I solved the problem.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out I was wrong. The ecu was fried. Works sometimes when it's cool so I believe it's repairable but I don't know how to diagnose it. Got a new ecu and the car runs fine now.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Turns out I was wrong. The ecu was fried. Works sometimes when it's cool so I believe it's repairable but I don't know how to diagnose it. Got a new ecu and the car runs fine now.
Bet anything it is the obd2 ecu version of the c14 capacitor from an obd1 ecu. Open it up and check the caps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts