Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my buddy has just rebuilt his motor and it is gutless. he is waiting on the rest of the stuff to boost it... such as downpipe and fittings... besides the point... ok his set up is currnetly N/A... has a Z6 combo P28 ECU BOTTOM END: TT rods, Vit pistions, king bearings, ARP rod bolts, ARP head studs. HEAD: skunk 2 springs and retainers, stock cam, P&P head. he has a DC header (not headers), intake, Skunk2 intake manifold, LS TB, 12 LB ACT flywheel, Exedy clutch, A6 pully (3lbs)NGK plugs.... just got it running and trying to brake it in and do his pulls. he is on a flat straight strech trying to accerelate and its takes for ever, even in 2nd gear he fights to get it up to 55 MPH. any other info need i will supply and will try every thing will be tried... timing is TDC he double checked... cam, crank, and dizzy is TDC.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
if its not smoking i wouldnt worry about it since you are almost a full 1 point lower than stock. plus do you have a bigger exhaust?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
y he has 2.5 full header back... checked timing... cam and crank line up dizzy is TDC... used a timing light and its money.. so???

·
Registered
613 Posts
well there is the cause of your gutless car. no back pressure what so ever and lower comp. will do that to a car.

when i took off my turbo, left the hot side and made a blockoff plate that would let the center section bolt up to it, my car was slow as dog shit.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Sounds like its a tooth off.....

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Sounds like its a tooth off.....
Would it matter if it was a tooth off if they checked it with a timing light and the number was good? As in it was at the degree of timing they were shooting for?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok then im assuming it a tooth retarded? so advance it a tooth on the crank? he dose not have an adjustable cam gear. but that could be the cam any ways. thanks every one...

·
Registered
838 Posts
well there is the cause of your gutless car. no back pressure what so ever and lower comp. will do that to a car.

when i took off my turbo, left the hot side and made a blockoff plate that would let the center section bolt up to it, my car was slow as dog shit.
theres no such thing as back pressure! only exhaust velocity. he said his car is completly gutless. if it was a "back pressure" problem he should feel the car pickup up on power in the higher rpms.

OP: had this problem before. do a compression test it should be around 150psi range. what spark plugs are you using? also up the ignition timing past 18+. it should feel close if not a lil faster than stock.

·
Registered
613 Posts
theres no such thing as back pressure! only exhaust velocity. he said his car is completly gutless. if it was a "back pressure" problem he should feel the car pickup up on power in the higher rpms.

OP: had this problem before. do a compression test it should be around 150psi range. what spark plugs are you using? also up the ignition timing past 18+. it should feel close if not a lil faster than stock.
jeez thats funny, try running around town for a week on a stock motor with 2.5'' exhaust. you WILL NOT feel any gain in power between ~60% throttle and 100%, nor will you feel any noticeable gain in power when the rpm's climb.

whats your throttle response looking like? a car that is off a tooth wont have very good throttle response

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
he just let me know he is using a 2 bar gm map, and is getting codes for MAP and TPS... will that effect it? trying a 1 bar. some one suggested that it is faulty. he dont think its timming cause the car fires right up as soon as you turn the key its on. and like i said we check with a timing light.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Would it matter if it was a tooth off if they checked it with a timing light and the number was good? As in it was at the degree of timing they were shooting for?
Cam timing is different than ignition timing.... I have done this before. In fact just last week after I put my new head on the car. It was a tooth off but the ignition timing was almost the same.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts