Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright my y8 is missing again. It's firing but it's not hitting. You can take out the plug and the wire and put them together and crank the car and it fires everytime but it doesn't hit in the cylinder. It's cylinder #2 like before. What the hell could this be? It's only been like this since I put my cam and valve springs in. I have the valve lash set at .009 and .0011...when it was missing the 1st time, we took the valve cover back off and recheck the valve lash on it and one valve was tighter than it should've been. We fixed that and then it was still missing for just a little while, not long at all, and then it went away. Now it's coming back. What could it be? If it's the valve lash tightening itself again then what could be making it tighten?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well your getting spark, so you need to check that fuel injector out. And do a comprerssion and leakdown test to make sure you have adequate compression on that cylinder.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's the thing, it doesn't miss if it's not idling. If Im just driving then it's fine but then at a red like it'll be like " hmmmmm ::miss:: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ::miss:: every now and then. It used to not do it if I had my lights on either. I don't know why it would be my fuel injector if it's only been doing it since I put the cam in. What else could it be

·
Registered
545 Posts
I can't see how the valve lash would tighten up on it's own. So is it idling fine? You can check your injectors by having your car running and sticking a long screw driver on top on the injector and listen to them open and close. Using a multimeter and checking the voltage and resistance will give you a more accurate diagnosis.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i love honda said:
here's the thing, it doesn't miss if it's not idling. If Im just driving then it's fine but then at a red like it'll be like " hmmmmm ::miss:: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ::miss:: every now and then. It used to not do it if I had my lights on either. I don't know why it would be my fuel injector if it's only been doing it since I put the cam in. What else could it be
You have a stage 2 crower right. Well the design of the cam could give you a slight miss at idle.

J

·
0 Posts
Cuong-Nutz said:
I can't see how the valve lash would tighten up on it's own.
Valve lash will usually tighten up as a motor wears. The impact of the valve closing thousands of times will literally smash the valve seat deeper into the aluminum head (or flatten the seat a bit), which makes the entire valve sit closer to the rocker arm. The rocker arm doesn't move any closer or further away from the valve and the tolerance will tighten up. Usually it's not enough to cause any noticable problem though...from what I've seen anyway.

It's a longshot (read: highly unlikely) that a cam with a more aggressive lobe (on opening and especially closing) combined with stiffer springs could potentially speed up this process.

I seriously doubt this is causing the problem though.

The fact that it's only on the #2 cylinder is pretty intriguing. Have you changed the plugs and/or wires since this problem first arose? Have you checked for fuel? Is the plug wet when you pull it? Is it wet with gas or coolant? Also, just because you've got spark doesn't mean it's strong enough to actually fire the cylinder. First thing I'd do is replace plugs/wires/dist cap and rotor. (A tune up never hurts.. even if you just did one a few months ago.. it's not that much money either.)

Obviously the coil's got enough nuts to fire the other 3 cylinders so I wouldn't suspect that there's a bad ground, but again, it doesn't hurt to check and/or install a good ground strap from the motor to the battery.

Are you getting a CEL or any codes to speak of?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
d16a6 power said:
You have a stage 2 crower right. Well the design of the cam could give you a slight miss at idle.
Yes ^^very true!!!
and also a good idea is to throw some timing back into it..(advance)
that solved my problems, then I traded in my car..lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts