Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been working on a 88 Honda Civic Hatchback with a d15b2 motor for the last few weekends. DPFI setup

When he puts starting fluid thru the throttle body and attempts to start it the car starts but when the starting fluid is all gone the car eventually dies and won't start again.

i've done the following to try and eliminate any thing that could be the problem

Replaced the following..

* spark plugs
* spark plug wires

Tested and checked the following..

* ECU
* Main Relay
* fuel pump
* cap/rotor/ignitor
* firing order
* all fuses

Now before i replaced the spark plugs the one's that were in there were flooded with fuel and were black. So i am assuming if there is fuel going to the spark plugs that the fuel pump is working properly.

So I check the ECU codes and the following codes are coming up

13 - barometric Pressure Sensor
6 - engine coolant temp sensor
10 - intake air temp sensor.

now a friend told me that all of those sensors share the same ground. and I guess the persons car I have been working on said his uncle put this motor in cause his old motor wouldn't start and now this one won't start.

I checked his harness and some of it is hacked up cause I guess he had to wire up a switch to his fan switch to turn it on manually.

I am wondering if there is a single ground thats shared with all the sensors that are sending a CEL where is this ground usually located and do you think it would be all the sensors gone bad or the ground that is causing this ?

I am in the process of actually looking for a new harness for him from a DPFI d15b2 motor. i'll be posting up a WTB ad in the classifieds for that.

anyone else may have idea what teh problem could be ?

·
Registered
435 Posts
it soundz like a wiring issue there are numerous threads on here on how to do a dpfi conversion so compare all wiring to the instructions hell I had this prob on the last rex I worked on I used a voltmeter and checked continuity to all wiring every thing was checking out turns out the conversion harness the guy bought for (obd0-obd1) was pinned wrong and had some mixed up wiring so I rewired it correctly and what do you know it started from my experience with swaps incorrect wiring is usually the culprut..........good luck man! keep us updated

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it's still the stock DPFI not the MPFI yet..

i would like to do a MPFI swap on his car but would rather get his car working for now so he can get to school.

i believe it is a wiring issue but my question is does anyone know where the ground is located for all of those sensors ?

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
it soundz like a wiring issue there are numerous threads on here on how to do a dpfi conversion so compare all wiring to the instructions hell I had this prob on the last rex I worked on I used a voltmeter and checked continuity to all wiring every thing was checking out turns out the conversion harness the guy bought for (obd0-obd1) was pinned wrong and had some mixed up wiring so I rewired it correctly and what do you know it started from my experience with swaps incorrect wiring is usually the culprut..........good luck man! keep us updated
Doesn't sound like a swap. sounds like hes using the original motor for the original chassis. D15B2 is what came stock in my 88 sedan. (O.P. correct me if its an MPFI chasis)

It seems a bit weird to me that your getting a new chasis. My harness is fucked to hell right now in my sedan(did an OBD0 to OBD1 and DPFI to MPFI conversion) the thing is taped up, not soldered and it fires runs(in safe mode)
and drives OK, all things considered.

Was the whole motor replaced? including injectors, DPFI Intake etc? It sounds more like a fuel starvation issue to me your putting starter fluid in and it runs with that in it, because it has something to burn as soon as no more liquid to burn the car stops?? I don't see where the harness comes to play in that.

And honestly the best way to figure out your ground point get the chilton, haynes or shop manual of your choice with the wiring diagram and go to town. It's prob the easiest and safest way of finding that ground.

·
Registered
00 civic
371 Posts
I had a simaler problem with my 89 turned out to be injectors

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the manual would be the safest way i'm gonna dig my head into teh book a for a while tonight. And i guessing the whole motor was swapped from the old one to a used one.

It does seem like a fuel starvation issue to me as well, cause earlier today it threw a code 16 and i believe thats fuel injector code. So i'm gonna swap out all the sensors in his intake manifold and the DPFI fuel injectors and hope taht may fix it.

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
It does seem like a fuel starvation issue to me as well, cause earlier today it threw a code 16 and i believe thats fuel injector code. So i'm gonna swap out all the sensors in his intake manifold and the DPFI fuel injectors and hope taht may fix it.
Code 16 is a fuel injector error code.
Question: There isn't an injector resistor box in the mix is there?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts