Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've had a few threads the past few days since i'm installing my motor that has been worked on and i needed some help. There seems to be alot of people in the engine building forum so i figured post here since thats what i'm doing.

Well i still need a little help please.

The second i start my car i can drive it around the block just fine, but once its warm and i stop at a stop sign, the idle goes way down and then back up and sometimes it shuts itself off.

It also does that when i'm sitting in my driveway and its warmed up, i sit there and push the clutch in and the idle starts to move, then put it in reverse and the idle starts to surge.

The IACV was replaced a few months ago and i've checked it since and its clean. Hoses and everything are hooked up where i think they should be but it still seems like i have a vac leak somewhere.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,261 Posts
I had that same problem a couple of years ago...
& it always ended up being the IACV sensor...

I believe I ended up replacing it with a spare I had...
I believe my plugs was switched around from the iacv sensor & another sensor around that area...(I can't seem to remember which sensor right now)

also...
the clutch being pushed in & a different idle or noise at times...
is caused by your throw out bearing...

& the surge in the reverse is your reverse idle...
most of all the last things are caused by the transmission area...
(of things I've said)

& the idle as you already know is in the mani...
but in my opinon its the iacv...

I know you replaced it...
but was it with a new one from the store?
or the junkyard?
or a spare you had?

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The IACV was brand new from honda a few months ago, actually, now that i think of it, i think its been a year since it was replaced. I took it to honda because i didn't know anything about cars and delivered pizza at the time and was pissed about my idle. They replaced that and it still did it and found carbon in the valve, took it out and my idle has been fine since then.

My engine got a valve job so i'm sure there isn't any carbon in there.

When i took my tranny off all i did was set it on my old bed in my garage and waited till i got my engine back so i dont think anything happened to it then.

I've never done a clutch before but i figured it couldn't be too hard. I ripped apart an old tranny and used the drive thing as a clutch tool since i couldn't find one anywhere and my tranny went in fine, no force needed.

I'll try taking off the iacv and putting on an old one i have laying around tomorrow.

Edit: Oh, and what plug do you have going to the iacv? Is it the one that comes off the wireharness all by it self? Or the one that has a plug that goes to the iat and another one?

I figure that one goes to the purge but i could be wrong and have the purge and iacv mixed up

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not 100% sure if i put the tranny fluid in the right spot, but i put it in the metal tube that comes up from the top of the tranny that has a rubber cap.

Is that the right place?

If not, it still works = \.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still need help, i have PT tomorrow and another appointment on friday and no ride :(

I think i can make it but i don't know if it'd be bad for my car.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
Not 100% sure if i put the tranny fluid in the right spot, but i put it in the metal tube that comes up from the top of the tranny that has a rubber cap.

Is that the right place?

If not, it still works = \.
:3dtard:

Theres drain/fill plugs for that bro-ham. Go outside and look at your tranny, theres a large bolt beside your axle and i mean right beside your axle. Take that bolt out and fill your tranny before you find yourself in the for sale section looking for another tranny. Fill tranny to the point it runs out of the axle opening(with the axle removed of course).

What about the coolant hoses that go to the bottom of the throttle body, are they hooked up correctly? I had a similar problem when i swapped intake mani's.

:bigok:

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried turning the idle way up and that didn't do anything.

K. If your looking at the TB from the passanger side of the car, the hoses are in as follows.

Bottom left goes to the iacv, bottom right "little nipple looking thing" Goes to the intke manifold/black tube that connects to the thermostat housing. Top left is the one that goes to the black can looking thing below the fuel filter/map sensor. And the last hose is the tiny one tht goes to the map sensor mounted on the fuel filter.

That should be right? Then the other iacv hose, the really long one, goes to the far right of the black tube thing, closer to the water pump.

Lol, come on man, rookies mistake. That totally looks like the place to fill fluid at. I even bought the little rubber hose and a funnel to do it "right". I didn't think i'd have to take off a bolt and put the fluid in the side of something, it just doesn't sound right. But i guess honda knows best.

I knew i hated trannys for a reason.

Thanks for the help, i'll go use the last quart of honda tranny fluid i have and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "T" is because sk2 intake manifolds only have 1 baby coolant line, not like the stock where it has 2 baby's and one papa coolant line at the far right on the intake. The 2 lines going into the skunk 2 intake are from the far right on the black tube that connects to the thermostat and the line from the bottom right of the TB.

And.

I heard somewhere if you cover the TB with your hand while the car is turned on and it dies right away, there isn't a vac leak. . I did it and the car shut off pretty fast. Probably not smart to do, but i gotta try something. And. I unplugged the iacv while the car was on and the car shut off. I dunno what that means, but theres more info to work with.

Oh, i also drained a bunch of tranny fluid "so it did work going from the metal tube at the top of the tranny" and put my rubber hose/funnel into the right hole and filled it with a new quart.

Don't you just hate it when you put fluid in the wrong hole?

ewe.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump i guess?

I think i can rig it so the throtle cable is tighter so it has the TB a little bit open and the idle will never go down. . .Its a way around my problem but i still wanna fix it : \

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's also a weird metal on metal sound from 1.5k rpms and up.

My ignition timing is at the far left little line on the crank pully when its idling and like i said before, it dies when its warm after i drive it and let off the gas.

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
Lol, come on man, rookies mistake. That totally looks like the place to fill fluid at. I even bought the little rubber hose and a funnel to do it "right". I didn't think i'd have to take off a bolt and put the fluid in the side of something, it just doesn't sound right. But i guess honda knows best.

I knew i hated trannys for a reason.

Thanks for the help, i'll go use the last quart of honda tranny fluid i have and see if that does anything.
tranny holds just about two quarts of fluid, i fill from the speed sensor hole. its real easy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts