Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 honda civic ex auto d16y8

Ok so today i was driving everything was okay, then all of a sudden i felt my car rumbling aand it kinda felt like my exhaust was backfiring and the cel cane on i pulled over and looked under my car and it looked like my exhaust was smoking after the catalytic converter. So i started the car back up and it idled fine but when i pressed the gas it sounded like a harley motorcycle so i thre my hazards on and drove home when i was by my house my temerature guage shot all the way up and when i made it home i noticed my upper radiator hose blew so i was thinking could my exhast been backing up? Also now when i start my car it will idle but when press the gas it dies instantly.what could be wrong

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i just cleared the cel codes to see if they would come back and they did not, car started and idled but was still puttering and slightly jerking, misfire codes did not return.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Have you checked the timing on the car to see if it skipped a tooth, distributor got moved, or tensioner was going bad? The distributor could be going bad as well.

The last and final thing I can come up with is a headgasket. You might want to go rent a compression tool from advance or autozone and make sure your compression is fine on the cylinders as well. I think it's supposed to be 160 but it's been so long now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dizzy has a new Icm, all injectors are clicking but it still puttering it idles at 1000 rpm or higher and then drops down and starts puttering and while idleing it will putt every few seconds and when i press the gas it putters and then revs up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
timing is fine i put the bottom end to TDC and the top matched up correctly and ignition timing was good too , i did recently replace my fuel pump but not my fuel filter should i replace that ?

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
My first thought after your comment on it crumbling and back firing is a lean condition caused by lack of fuel. I would start with testing the fuel system. Also, what brand fuel pump did you get? If it was recently replaced I would start with the easy things like making sure youve got good connections everywhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got an oem fuel pump it wa used but the ebay seller said it came from a running vehicle, since the pump was installed i had no issues

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Check and make sure your tps is plugged in. But it could be a lot of things start diagnosing ignition

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay guys so good news =] i replaced all four spark plugs with some olds i had lying around and the car runs now no more puttering ! so im thinking just to be safe i should replace the cap and rotor and fuel filter since i have never replaced them since i got the car 2 years ago what do you guys think

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I would source my self a lifetime warranty dizzy, so next time I could just flop in a whole new unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts