Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to start my car after it has warmed up, it dies after I start it. Have to rev it to 2k or so for a couple seconds to keep it running. And sometimes it doesnt want to start at all. Always starts great when cold. Also have idle problems, sometimes it idles at 400~ and sounds like its barely staying running and sometimes it jump up to 1.5-2k, Had the idle jump to 3k once. Ive had the idle problems since i got the car but the starting issue didnt start until after I changed the head gasket

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
987 Posts
Idle problem is most likely you IACV Or Ideal Air Control Valve.

As far as the no starting issue when warmed up.

This could be caused by vapor lock or in my case once a faulty main relay.

Give some stats about your car might also help.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
sounds like you didn't bleed the coolant system and there is a bubble in the iacv.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, the cars a 90 civic wagon with the 1.5. Already cleaned out the iacv and tb to try to fix it. And Ill check out the relay thing. What relay would I be looking for? And the Coolant system was bled but will do it again just to make sure

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
front end lifted, heater on full?

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
987 Posts
You wont be able to keep it running on throttle with a bad main relay. A bad main relay with often allow the car to start on residual fuel rail pressure before immediately dying (because the fuel pump is not on).
I had one that would let you start the car the first time (cold) with zero issues.
But if you went anywhere and killed it be prepared to wait 15-20 mins to get it running again. Decided to check the main relay replaced it and the problem went away. Almost like it wasn't making full contact. I noticed the pump would prime but you could here it almost stutter to prime. Once the car had dropped in engine temp to about 150*f you could start it no issue. IDK if this was just heat threw the firewall playing havoc on an old main or what its deal was.
(91 Civic Wagon w/DOHC ZC)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bled it the proper way and idle seems to be good so far, still doesnt want to start warm so Ill give replacing the relay a shot

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
I had one that would let you start the car the first time (cold) with zero issues.
But if you went anywhere and killed it be prepared to wait 15-20 mins to get it running again. Decided to check the main relay replaced it and the problem went away. Almost like it wasn't making full contact. I noticed the pump would prime but you could here it almost stutter to prime. Once the car had dropped in engine temp to about 150*f you could start it no issue. IDK if this was just heat threw the firewall playing havoc on an old main or what its deal was.
(91 Civic Wagon w/DOHC ZC)
Yeah It's a common problem here in Australia too where the summers are hot. When the temperature rises the cracks in the solder prevent continuity to the fuel pump, but when it's cold it'll work fine.

You wont see OP's problem though, where maintaining throttle will keep the car running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts