Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well i went to put my cap back in and charged it and everything.. i haven't messed with audio for awhile so i was just wondering.. the cap is giving me around 12.5v and it drops of course to the bass to around 12v. now the amp reading is 0 most of the time. I know before i was getting alot more amps. the highest amp that showed on the cap was 1 so i'm guessing i have everything hooked up right and cap is charged right? i think the cap only works if the battery volts drop below like 12 or so? i did a quick searched and came up with nothing.. thanks in advanced

·
Registered
234 Posts
Do you have a volt meter? Check to see if your getting 12 volts into the cap. Also Im sure you have already done this but just incase you haven't did you check your fuse under the hood? If your getting 12 volts into the cap and your still not getting a reading of 12 volts then maybe you have something wrong with the cap. Also check your ground. If your not getting a good ground that could cause problems. Make sure that wherever you grounded it that you scraped away the paint and its to a solid piece of the car. gl with solving your problem, pm me if you have any other questions or if you need some more in depth trouble shooting.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know the caps getting 12v i used a meter on it. i was basically asking if the cap should be showing 0 amps .. or if it should have a reading no matter how high the bass ect is.

12.5 Volts is the reading on the cap
0 Amps is the reading on the cap.. i got like 1 amp once. so is this normal or should it be reading higher?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, i guess that's what i'm asking... is it good for the cap to not be pulling much amps? i know before i was pulling alot more than 1 amp.. sometimes my cap won't even light up or show volts or amps.. that's if i don't have it cranking tho. i know when i turn it up the cap will show voltage and most of the time 0 amps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
most caps are voltage sensing and wont turn on until they have something draw from it. as far as pulling amps it really shouldnt be. a cap is like a battery but made for rapid recharge and discharge. I hope Im following you so far anyway.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,425 Posts
WTF kind of dunce cap do you have?

Stiffening caps are a poor band-aid for a shitty charging system.

125-150 amp alt, two batts, heavy wire, 2500-3000 rpm high idle.

BBBBUUURRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Bizzar, please explain :)

·
Registered
300zxTT, Maxima
73 Posts
What has helped for me as well is add another ground at the battery, and make 2 new grounds that go from the block to the car. I thought that grounding systems were somewhat of a joke, but by just adding 3 new grounds with 8 gauge wire, it helped with my car starting and with my lights dimming.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
After a single bass note, a cap does nothing. Its good for the initial hit on a burp, sort of like a cushion on your batt. Like I stated, they are 100% useless after one single note. If it has a digital volt/amp gauge then thats its best served purpose haha. I have a 40f "cap" in my setup but I use it for a d-block and a volt meter thats it. I do however have 4 batteries and a 170amp alternator.

As for your question, is this cap showing zero amps when idling or at full volume? If its showing zero while the system is playing then the amp coil is probably shot on the little meter. It happens all the time on those gauges.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well it doesn't show 0 amps always .. if the bass is up alot then it will show maybe 1 amp at the most? i don't have a huge system hooked up a 1000watt amp that puts out 500rms(if i remember) to 2 speakers

connections:

input(+) - wire from battery to cap
input(-) - cap grounded
output(+) - wire from cap to amp.
output(-) - not used..

i'm pretty sure that's how i have it hooked up i'd have to look tho.

EDIT: also i know people say caps don't do much.. there's others that say they do. i probably don't need a cap because i upgraded alt. and wiring. but i could need it when i play my music loud and bass is up. i notice my lights did dim a little with the cap off .. with the cap on i haven't noticed any dimming so i do belief it has helped me.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
how do i explain simple circuitry here...hmmmm...ok i go it:

a capacitor is a simple storage unit for energy that site in line of the power cord...when "something" (doesn't have to be an amp) pulls MORE energy than what is avaliable, the cap will supply what is missing...if your cap is not showing that it is "charged" you either have it hooked up wrong OR it is bad...that's it, that's all that can be said for how this works...its a simple circuit setup...

NOTE: for a stereo system - if you "need" a cap, you have one to several things wrong with the setup...here's what to look for:
1. do you have the proper size wire leading from the battery to the amp for the length of wire you are using?
2. will the electrical system provide the appropriate amount of amps that the amplifier can pull?
3. is the amp properly grounded to the chasis, or direct grounding to the battery? if so, again is the cable used big enough for the length used?
4. is the battery being used in good condition and up to the task of feeding your system?

these are required questions that are a MUST for any amplified stereo that is going above and beyond that of the stock stereo...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
I have a 40f "cap" in my setup
DDAAAMMMMNNNN!!! that's a hell of a cap there...do you have a kill switch in the car to shut it down while your driving so as to not go deft immediatley?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts