Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving for a bit my clutch wont disengage it's a cable trany. It works when the car is cold but after that I cant get it in to gear. Any ideas wod be much appreciated. My guess is I'm going to have to pull the trany and throw a clutch kit in, as one of the parts must be going bad.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I wouldnt jump to conclusions and spend money.

Check the cable out. Make sure it is not rubbing on a coolant hose somehow that heats up and pressure-izes with teh system.

Make sure the cable is not binding on anything.

I have never heard of a clutch stopping function based on engine temperature.

Does it make any odd noises?
Does the clutch cable feel like it hits a hard spot at all during engagement/disengagement?

Throwing money at a car doesnt fix anything!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Check the cable out. Make sure it is not rubbing on a coolant hose somehow that heats up and pressure-izes with teh system.

Does the clutch cable feel like it hits a hard spot at all during engagement/disengagement?

Cable moves freely. I tried adjusting the cable but no diffrence. No weird noises. If I grab the lever on the tranny and try to manually shift it wont move after driving. Extremely strange.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Does the shifter move freely throughout the gears if you turn the engine off?

What about transzex's questions above?

What kind of fluid are you running inside the transmission?

If you have never changed it, now is a good time

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Cable moves freely. I tried adjusting the cable but no diffrence. No weird noises. If I grab the lever on the tranny and try to manually shift it wont move after driving. Extremely strange.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What clutch is in it?

Stock OEM clutch cable?
Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit , replaced the cable a long time ago but it's not OEM as I could not find one.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the shifter move freely throughout the gears if you turn the engine off?

What about transzex's questions above?

What kind of fluid are you running inside the transmission?

If you have never changed it, now is a good time
It has Honda manual transmission fluid its crystal clear.
The clutch kit the is in the car had maybe 6months worth of daily driving on it then it set for 4 years with minimal driving. I have been driving it every day now for a little over a year and the issue I'm having started about a week ago intermittently now I cant drive it. No, you cant shift through the gears with the engine off.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Honda fluid = Junk pisswater
Fake Exedy = Junk disc material

I'd start with putting in the correct trans fluid first, not the shitty Honda fluid.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
1,831 Posts
My self I'd only use Honda fluid in a auto (atf)
For manual I just run the same motor oil as in my motor.

Did you have the flywheel resurfaced?
And are we sure it's not the shift linkage binding or hitting exaust

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honda fluid = Junk pisswater
Fake Exedy = Junk disc material

I'd start with putting in the correct trans fluid first, not the shitty Honda fluid.
Do you think the fluod would really cause the clutch not to disengage? I know exedy is not the best but I was on a budget when I had to replace it.
What do you reccomend for fluid

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My self I'd only use Honda fluid in a auto (atf)
For manual I just run the same motor oil as in my motor.

Did you have the flywheel resurfaced?
And are we sure it's not the shift linkage binding or hitting exaust
No resurface and shift linkage is not binding.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
This really is an odd issue.

I guess start from the shifter and work your way forward. Yank the center consol apart to expose the shifter, and start getting eyes on each individual part.

Something must be binding, or getting hot from exhaust and somehow clamping down on something.

Id be super frustrated myself, and liable to break shit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have you tried operating the clutch lever at the other end - ie: in the engine bay? It'll be stiff without the pedal's mechanical advantage, but if it moves you'll at least be able to rule out the clutch and/or cable.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried operating the clutch lever at the other end - ie: in the engine bay? It'll be stiff without the pedal's mechanical advantage, but if it moves you'll at least be able to rule out the clutch and/or cable.
Disconnected the cable yesterday. The lever on the trany moves freely with zore resistance. Loose as a goose.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
the clutch lever should have quite a lot of resistance, being that it is supposed to compress the pressure plate fingers.

I think your problem has been found.

Time for a clutch, pressure plate, and new throwout bearing.

Exedy makes a very nice OEM replacement kit that has everything

EDIT, I am assuming the clutch lever is in one piece and is not bent when I say this. Remove the lever's rubber boot, and look inside at the pressure plate and input shaft while you attempt to act as the clutch pedal, pulling on that lever

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
the clutch lever should have quite a lot of resistance, being that it is supposed to compress the pressure plate fingers.

I think your problem has been found.

Time for a clutch, pressure plate, and new throwout bearing.

Exedy makes a very nice OEM replacement kit that has everything

EDIT, I am assuming the clutch lever is in one piece and is not bent when I say this. Remove the lever's rubber boot, and look inside at the pressure plate and input shaft while you attempt to act as the clutch pedal, pulling on that lever
That's what I was thinking so I pulled the trigger on the clutch kit. My problem now is that the kit I got does not fit. Its has been over 6 years since I bought the last one. I have a D15B with a z6 mini me and an Si trans. All of which are not original to my 88'(duh). Any help part number for the right kit for me would be a great help.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
what year d15b?

Order a clutch kit for 90+

88 and 89 vintage setups have their own fitment quirks.

But you would be following the 90+ crowd with a newer minime setup

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Since it’s a cable trans, he won’t be able to pull back a boot and see the TOB or pressure plate. Either way, as was already said, the lever should only move a small amount by hand and then the resistance of the pressure plate would probably be too much to operate the lever by hand. If the lever moves freely all the way then you probably need a new clutch and PP...which you already know by now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts