Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I'm starting a new build at the min but just want to check the compression ration before i carry any work out, i have tried using Zeals calculator but not all the parts are listed.

My spec would be

D15b vtec block and head
D16z6 3 layer metal headgasket
p29 pistons on the d15b rods

Firstly will this work and what compression will i be looking at??

Thanks in advance

Chris ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Select d15 block and crank, z6 head, and d16 rod (137mm) and thats the same as a d15b... Because of the longer rod the d15b runs, P29s are out of the question, but 01-03 GX slugs would yield you 10.79:1.

Does anyone have the compression height and cc of the d15b pistons? If so, I'll add them to the calc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, I've added them... based on a few specs I found, I'm fairly certain of the compression height, but not the dish CC. If anyone has a piston I could CC or would be willing to CC themselves, please PM me. =)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are D15b rods 137mm then?? Does anyone know the engine number for the GX engine then?? Problem is in the UK everything is labbeled as something else.

So p29's will 100% not work then? can i modify the dome to lower the compression?

Chris ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Are they?
If I remember right it came out to like 15.4:1... which is pretty freaking high. I've seen 13:1 motors run on pump fuel, but not 15:1... well... I guess you could run some massive cams and get the dynamic compression ratio down. Ok... so they aren't 100% out of the question... but for 99% of the builds going on in this forum... they are. =)

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Mista Bone's setup uses P29s, a D15 crank, and D16 rods. The success of this setup depends on the tuning, however, I would say for someone who is less knowledgeable and adventurous than The Mista to not run this kind of setup as a first build.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I work in an engine shop which is real handy so we have been looking into it more today, this is my second Honda build although i build many engine at work, most of them historic and ex F1 cars. The Honda as such are a lot more simple but it's always nice to do something which is so uncommon in the UK.

I looked on US ebay today and was shocked how many parts you can hold of, try ebay.co.uk and you get 2 things when you type in D15b!! lol

Does anyone know what piston's i can use to bring my compression in the region of around 10-11:1 in the D15b? Part numbers or engine numbers would be great as every model in the UK is called something else.

What are other people running on the board? Seems to be a harder build than my mini-me was! lol

Thanks in advance

Chris ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Select d15 block and crank, z6 head, and d16 rod (137mm) and thats the same as a d15b... Because of the longer rod the d15b runs, P29s are out of the question, but 01-03 GX slugs would yield you 10.79:1.

Does anyone have the compression height and cc of the d15b pistons? If so, I'll add them to the calc.
Just tried a few pistons with that spec on Zeals and came out with this -

D16a6 pm6 pistons - 11.88 CR
D16y8 p2p pistons - 11.06 CR
D16z6 p28 pistons - 10.63 CR

Would all these work or have i missed a vital point here?? All those engines are common in the uk and i could pick them up for cheap as well.

Chris :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I tend to prefer a dome over a dish, but all those pistons should work. Just remember that they are all out of the hole, so watch piston to head clearance as well as piston to valve.
Thanks mate, think i'm getting there now so much appriected!! :) does anyone have the engine code though for the 01-03 gx pistons??

Chris ;)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
01-03 Civic GX pistons yield ~10.8:1 compression ratio.
That calculator must be wrong then, the GX pistons aka. PDN pistons have a dome very similar to P29 except the rod itself is thicker and it takes a 21mm wrist pin instead of 19mm.

courtesy of Bense
piston dome on pdn pistons = 4.63cc
http://bensebuilt.livejournal.com/

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Thanks mate, think i'm getting there now so much appriected!! :) does anyone have the engine code though for the gx pistons??

Chris ;)
the block is D16b5

it's what I'm using for a high compression build. With a Y8 head it's 12.5:1

·
Registered
269 Posts
That calculator must be wrong then, the GX pistons aka. PDN pistons have a dome very similar to P29 except the rod itself is thicker and it takes a 21mm wrist pin instead of 19mm.
You are referring to the 98-00 GX pistons... The GX pistons I'm referring to are the PMS pistons... the calculator is correct.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts