Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Civic with a D16y8 turbocharged with a VAFC and 450cc injectors doing the AFC hack for fuel management (I know I know)... I am having problems with my ignition timing. I jumpered the pins by the ECU and my CEL is flashing. I have the distributor all the way back and my timing is right on the middle 3 which is stock timing and I believe to be 12 degrees. I'm trying to get down to 8 degrees timing but the distributor won't move back anymore. Could I be off a tooth on the t belt? It runs great doesn't seem to have any power loss at all I drove it around for a couple months NA and it seemed normal. Could the VAFC be messing with my timing? Help a noob please! (And I know I need a standalone but I'm working with what I have)

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,104 Posts
set the mechanical timing per fsm and then retard it a tooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I retard it a tooth? Can I leave the crank pulley on, slip the belt off the cam pulley, and move it one way or the other and slip it back on?

·
4,104 Posts
read how to do it per the fsm. do it that way, but retard it 1 tooth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took the distributor off and remounted it and now it is the opposite? Now the timing is correct fully advanced instead of fully retarded so I can get it where I want it. What could have caused it to switch? Could it be 180 degrees off? Does it matter which way the keyway inside goes?

·
4,104 Posts
step away from the car. take it to a shop. tried to help you buy making you look for an fsm

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
sounds like a can of worms.

Just so you know the VAFC advance your timing and screw up alot. Since it offsets the map sensor for the injectors.

Next the dizzy only goes on one way. The key way cant be flip unless you hulk it and tighten the crap out of it.

Being 1 tooth off belt timing would cause more problems but its easy to check. Rotate the motor over to TDC and check all the timing marks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got the timing retarded 2 degrees, but the distributor doesn't want to go any further. Currently looking for a chipped ECU, I'll ditch the VAFC.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can you set timing with the VAFC removed from the vehicle and see what that gets you? Lets look at removing variables to determine the problem before we start attempting to solve the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts