Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay so ive got a really annoying issue with my car. it seemed to have appeared a little after last time i went to the drag strip.

i cant keep the car at a constant speed.

so if im drinving (in any gear but 3rd is most common) in say 3rd gear trying to go 25mph ill reach that speed then slowly let off the gas pedal to keep the speed but then the car lurches hard to start slowing down.

i push back on the gas and lurches back up to speed. ive been trying to adjust my footing but i know that the throttle is exactly shut. or accelerating. no in between.

also my car will accelerate with vaccume of about 20psi witch is usually were i try to put it to cruise.

i can keep a constant 65mph in 5th gear decently well but that is about the olny gear i can keep the speed.

i havent sarted trying to fix it yet due to not enough time but im going to start tomorrow after work.

things i will check.

TPS
clean throttle body.
throttle cable.
spark plugs.
o2 sensor
vacuum lines
and thats all i can think to check. if you guys have any ideas on what to check to see if the issue can get resolved id appreciate it.

also could it be a transmission thing? my 1-3 gears seem to be louder since last going to the track. i could just be hearing things though.

thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
526 Posts
hmm only time i had a steady speed issue was when my o2 sensor was craping out. but yours could be the track like you mentioned, an let us know what u find out bout the tps an plugs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
ya i didnt assume it either cuz no cel, but changed mine an fixed it. but every motor is diff lol hopefully its something simple an u get it figured out

·
Registered
526 Posts
also is all your wiring in good shape(soft coating and still flexible)? iv seen a buddys car act up due to wiring breaking in the harness leading to tps.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just disconnect it, ECU will go into open loop automatically and you can confirm without buying yet.

As for the TPS thing, mine with the s2 intake is pretty close, and launching with bad mounts could make it touch. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wiring mostly new(harness was tucked when i put new engine in a little over a month ago)
but a break in a wire could make sense.

running y8 intake and put in mount inserts with new engine so i dont think that happened but ill look for signs or if its broken off lol.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If you are OBD1 there are tons of things that can not be working and not set an MIL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts