Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't get fuel! No start. SOLVED.

Here's the problem.

Last week I bought a 90 Civic wagon, b18 swapped. I got it cheap because it didn't run and I was told it needed a fuel pump, he had the pump but didn't want to replace it. He said his wife turned the car off at a coffee shop, and then it wouldn't fire back up and the car sat for 6 months.

I established that it's certainly not the relay and proceed to change out the pump.

Upon removal, the ground wire on the pump was completely broken. I replaced it with the new pump rather than messing with fixing the broken wire. I tested the old pump after removal, and it worked when on 12v direct from battery.

Installed the new pump, and the car fired up after a little while of cranking over. I left the car there for a few days because I had no way of getting 2 vehicles home.

When I came to get the car 2 days later, it fired up when I got there. Turned it off to do paper work, and then it would not start again. I dropeed the tank AGAIN and pulled the new pump. Put 12v to it on the battery and it worked like gold. Put it back in the tank and the car started up. Ran for 2 hours all the way home, up and down mountain passes. Even turned it off once to get more fuel. No CEL codes the whole way.

Got it home and it won't start again, it's been a week of me going out and trying to start it.

- Relay, good, swapped with one in my running wagon.
- Getting 12v to the plug under sending unit the access panel
- No pressure to the fuel filter
- I can't hear the pump coming on.
- I tried running 12v direct to that plug, nothing, didn't hear the pump come on.

The only thing I can think of is that the sub-harness going from the 4 pin connector down to the 2 pin at the tank might be buggered. I'm going to drop the tank again tomorrow and try to run power direct to the pump while it's still installed to see if it turns.

Does anyone have any other advice or ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its got to be some kind of sensor. I mean, cheap/easy/dirty fix. Run a direct 12v power from the battery and have a switch in the ignition.

Because Race Car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took out the brand new pump, ran 12v to it and it wouldn't fire up. Then i tapped it with my finger and it did, then didn't, then did... it was f'ed. I put in a known working used pump and it's been good since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts