Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic EH 95
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped the main an countershaft from S20 tranny, and some of the gears.
Everything seems to sit just fine, and aligned good.
Tranny housing only closing if I remove the top bearing from main shaft.
Another thing I noticed is, when I closed the housing with top bearing off, the plastic thing which needs to sit behind it, broke.
Tried to fit the bearing in the top hosing case and it fits just fine.

WTF is going on here? Maybe the S20 main/counter shafts isn't compatible with the S40 hosing?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Are you 100% sure the counter shaft matches the final drive ring gear?

I made that mistake once thinking all Si hydro B16 trannys were 4.4 final drive, turned out I had one of the hens teeth versions that had a 4.266 final drive and the ring gear and counter shaft didnt mesh properly, so it was binding up.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
Need a different plastic oil guide plate to match the mainshaft, or a replacement and remove the insert out the the mainshaft.

Pics #4 and #5 are key.

92-95 21104-PS1-020 (B series)
96-00 21104-P4A-B00

They are about $4 from dealer, I need on myself for the trans I'm working on. It has the small tip piece where as the mainshaft needs the larger plate.

I've broke a few not paying attention....

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
"If it don't fit, force it.......and break it in the process."

I can see the information you DONT read. I gave it to you a few days ago...

Boooooooooo...

·
Registered
Honda Civic EH 95
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JoelEspinoza,
I counted the tooth on the both countershafts and the quantity of them is equal.
Is that enough to assume that it muches the diff gear?

transzex,
I'll get the proper oil guide, but even with that thing removed from housing, it won't close. What can be the problem?

TheToaster,
I couldn't find in your thread anything related to my problem. Maybe it's there but I didn't see it. Can you direct me to the right info?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Honda Civic EH 95
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How jammed synchro prevented you from closing the case?

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
The oil guide plate is different. Match it to the mainshaft.

The mainshaft needs to be shimmed.

Make sure to keep the countershaft paired with its matching ring gear.

·
Registered
Honda Civic EH 95
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here comes the update,
I turns out that I blend the 5th gear wheels between the trannies, and that caused some imbalance inside the box which prevented it from closing.
Now I'm going to search for a compatible oil guide and a 92-95 3th-4th slider, and machine the fork to match it.

Some questions,
What is that fitting inside the new mainshaft? What it's good for? It looks like it's blocking the oil flow a bit.

Can you tell me a little bit more about cone scuffing? Is it for making the surface rougher, or smoother? Is that neccesery for a cone in a good, like new shape?

In other post of mine, "TheToaster" commented "You'd be surprised how smooth dull teeth shift when sanded smooth and cones scuffed."

I couldn't really understand. Can someone explain more about it?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts