Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'95 EX Coupe
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo!

I'm pretty avid with cinematography, and I was wondering, what type of lens should I use to shoot cars and scenery? Or is it that car videos are just color corrected beautifully? x)

·
Registered
911 Posts
With a crop body something wide should work like say a one of those 17ish-50mm fixed 2.8 zoom lenses(Canon/Sigma/Tamron all make great versions), almost all of them have Image stabilization which is a must for handheld video.

2.8 is gonna work a whole lot better in low light than the standard zoom lenses which end up being 5.6 at the long side. My Buddie just got a T3i(same sensor as the 7D) and I was testing out the video with the standard kit lens, then I popped on his 50mm 1.8 and it was night and day difference.

You can also adapt vintage lenses from other makes to the Canon EOS system, and for dirt cheap. The M42/Pentax screw mount and Nikon F mount are easily adaptable with a less than $10 adapter. A whole slew of people use vintage glass for video mostly due to the aperture ring(which almost all modern lenses don't have anymore)

And the focus ring throw is also much better on vintage manual lenses than using AF lenses manually. You can pick them up for dirt cheap on ebay, like under $25. A fast 28/35(f1.4-3.5) would work great,a nifty 50mm 1.8 for close ups. And a good 80mm-135ish tele lens gives a more surreal look to video because it compresses the background.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The funny thing is I'm still a noob when it comes to DSLRs.

I just have great memory so I remember everything I learn, it's really easy to make a professional looking video with a Canon T2i/T3i/60D/7D. Two huge things are the frame rate and using a fast(or long) lens to get a shallow depth of field.

It's pretty awesome also how a budget $2k DSLR setup can compete with $40k-100K professional video setups.

The 7D was used to film several scene of the avengers. Literally a $1,500 consumer camera.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts