Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I lot of friend told me that the vtec on his car sounds like thunder, other says they can hear it, others says they can feel it.

I just agree with the third opinion, and only with b-series engine,

I have been reading, and when vtec engages the valves open more, then the engine could breath better,

am I wrong ?????

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
only vtec e has selective valve opening

regular vtec has higher lift lobes on the cam(s), sohc does intake, dohc does both intake and exhaust

·
Registered
12 Posts
with a d series vtec motor you should be able to hear vtec engagle a lil bit with a slight feel. now with a bseries motor on the other hand you can definately hear and feel it. i dont know about thunder tho maybe thats hit motor about to blow haha

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
i can defo feel and hear vtec kick in on my build...

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
i know the vtec "kick" is much lighter in a D.....and the only ways i can tell in my Z6 is that theres a tiny diff in the engine noise, and ill hear my intake sucking in air and exactly at the point i hit vtec the sucking noise goes away, or is less apparent. anyone else get that?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
If you "feel" VTEC, you either need tuning or your mind is playing tricks on you. As stated, SOHC engines only have VTEC cams on the intake shaft, so the transition will not be as loud as with DOHC engines.

The optimal crossover point is when the VE curves associated with each set of lobes intersect. If you engage VTEC too early or too late, you're losing area under the curve.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^X2, stock intake and stock exhaust I can only slightly hear the vtec engagement...no chg in feel.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
EJ1 Scrappin's vtec "x-over" is really really loud. niether the d15b or the z6 in my EH3 comes close to how loud his is. its freaky. it honestly sounds just like a b16a swapping over.

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
i could hear a slit diffrence once vtec kicked on my stock y8 but then i ran sea foam through my car and could really tell a diffrence when the vtec kicked in, never sounded like thunder tho just exhaust screaming when it kicks in.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
my car is damn loud when vtec hits and its a stock y8 head. but you shouldnt fell it, which i dont i jsut notice the rpms going a little faster

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my car is damn loud when vtec hits and its a stock y8 head. but you shouldnt fell it, which i dont i jsut notice the rpms going a little faster

that´s my point

1 - 20 of 38 Posts