Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have D16y8 and I have a z6 head that needs no work done to it.

The Y8 Block has bad rod bearing so they will need to be replaced. I was thinking of just building the block instead of just rebuilding it with stock parts.
This is my first motor build so it will probably be a while . Can someone give me a parts list for everything I need ? and Price ? I do want to use Vitaras and I was looking at the Tuner Toys Rods , how are those working out for you guys.

·
Registered
85 Posts
TT rods are good. Im running them in my build. My engine still runs so i guess they are good haha :)

Here was my basic build tally:

SRP pistons/rings - Got them locally at blowout pricing 300CDN
TTrods - 300CDN
Block machining - 300ish I think it was
Bearings - OEM honda like 200 Or more i think it was
Oil pump/water pump - 175 for both i think

Thats pretty much it.. Gives ya rough estimate. I assembled it myself along with pressing the pistons on the rods myself. Saved a couple bucks there. Good luck dude.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So In USD $

230 For the Rods
130 For the Vitaras + 30 For the Hastings Rings
Hone & Bore + Block Notching 120 @ a Local Machine Shop for me
Assemble it myself

I already have a oil pump thats in perfect condition .

I want my car to sound like a diesel :)

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
with a grand you can accopmlish a DECENT head/block build

....BUT.....

It all depends on what you want out of the motor as well?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
with a grand you can accopmlish a DECENT head/block build
ehh, i guess you can get close. depending on what you decide to replace...

TT rods - $210(group buy)
SRP and rings - $300
ACLs - $80
OEM bearings(stupid clearances) - $70
machine work(bore, valve job, surface) - $380
gaskets throughout engine - $75(not 100% sure, still need to add it all up)
OEM HG - $43
oil pump - $115
water pump - $43
timing belt - $30(OEM, but bought new, secondhand)

still need to actually find all my reciepts so i can get a legit total, so this is just an estimate.

roughly $1346

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for replying if I would have asked honda-tech this question I would have got flamed and given all kind of suggestions like ;

Go with a B series , or dont buy cheap stuff; blah blah blah

One more question I would like to ask , what tools do you need for a bottom end build. I think I have most of them but would like to know every single tool I need.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Boost and horsepower aren't the only factors that contribute to Quarter-Mile times... traction's is another big one. But once you get these two down you should get you to your goals.

·
Registered
94 G20
132 Posts
if you assemble it your self youll save some money, and buying used parts helps.
you might no need the block bored or honed either if you didnt spin a crank bearing.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts

SRP and rings - $300
ACLs - $80
OEM HG - $43
oil pump - $115
water pump - $43

still need to actually find all my reciepts so i can get a legit total, so this is just an estimate.

roughly $1346

Ryan is pretty close to the acutall cost of the set-up to get it going...IT could be cheaper though depeing on "who u know" and the required sourcing to achieve all the parts.....Personally my build will be alot cheaper than this...."know some machinists/etc" And ill be going with the Suzuki Vitara's instead of Forged......."cost, proven realiability up to 400WHP, and fuck there Suzuki! hahah....in a Honda>? like Wtf!:> lol.....anyways....Affter u get that thing bullet proof for whatever route u decide to take.....that engine can see numbers that will make u drooooool..........:haha:

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
My goal is actually running 13.0-12.5 Quarter Mile Times that is my main goal and powerwise im not sure.
helps to know what car it is in. an HF CRX or CX hatch can probably hit high 12s with 250-260hp, where as a 96+ sedan would most likely need 300+

·
Registered
2,192 Posts

SRP and rings - $300
ACLs - $80
OEM HG - $43
oil pump - $115
water pump - $43

roughly $1346

right about where im going to end up.

dont forget to add the clutch needed to hold the extra power
+250 or 300 just for that.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Thank you guys for replying if I would have asked honda-tech this question I would have got flamed and given all kind of suggestions like ;

Go with a B series , or dont buy cheap stuff; blah blah blah

One more question I would like to ask , what tools do you need for a bottom end build. I think I have most of them but would like to know every single tool I need.
The biggest headache is the removing of the bolt pulley. Go to amazon.com and buy the special tool to remove that bolt, I paid 12 dollars for it, best money on a tool that I have spend.:TU:

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As of now I have a 1995 EJ1 but my build is planning to go in a EF Hatch instead. I want a CRX but I like the hatch's body the same. But either way Its going into a EF.

FYI: I also have a 99Si but its stock.

Heres a pic , I know the wheels are ugly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts