Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about removing the P.S. next weekend, but I wanted to see how difficult it would be to drive like that first. Can I drive around with no P.S. belt and not seize the rack or cause any other damage?

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
yes it wont hurt nething but the Non P/S racks are geared differently than the P/S racks so it will be really hard. and if u have biger tires than stock have fun thats when it gets really hard.

RC

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
yes it wont hurt nething but the Non P/S racks are geared differently than the P/S racks so it will be really hard. and if u have biger tires than stock have fun thats when it gets really hard.

RC
true this but quaife makes a non power rack gear quickener, so it turns as fast as the power steering racks but with out the power weight.....just a thought

still harder to turn at lowerspeeds but not AS bad.....

·
Registered
721 Posts
I hate powersteering...I always take my belt off...its not that hard to steer, unless you have arms the size of peanutes...but it is good for the shoulders!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks for helping out a Noob. I will have no problem driving a non-P.S. car, I just don't want my rack to seize up on me because the pump is not working.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
IMO, its not worth the little bit you will gain. But im lazy. I may be having to take mine out to when i install my turbo, but im not for sure yet.

good luck. Tell us if it is worth it

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i took my belt off a while ago, although i have HX wheels (11.8lbs) so its really not to bad, i actually prefer it over p/s

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I don't have power steering in my car and its not that bad. I mean when you are not moving the wheel is difficult to turn but overall its not as bad as people think.....unless you are a weakling;)

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
no p.s enables positive car and road condition feedback :TU:. IMO it's FAR easier to make steering miscalculations or over-correct in an emergency situation when you have assistance with the rack.

also, the effort is increased if you just remove the belt because the fluid is forced through all the lines PLUS the dormant pump. IMO if you are going to remove your p/s, the proper way to do it would be to remove the pump, bracket and the cooler lines that run in front of the radiator.

then, use a proper p/s removal kit like this one from StealthMode which i plan to install next year (if i have a digi cam by then i might even do a DIY write-up :D):

STEALTHMODE PERFORMANCE P/S REMOVAL KIT

this kit comes with proper stainless steel lines and anodized fittings :TU: there is a link to Honda Tuning's How-To article as well

·
Registered
119 Posts
i removed the power steering belt and pump on my 89 accord, it was not any harder to steer than my 91 ef

no one i have talked to has thought that it will hurt anything

and removing the pump shaved off 5+pounds

i think that the p/s removal item described ^^ is a good idea

i didnt worry on my accord, the rack was leaking anyway.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
no p.s enables positive car and road condition feedback :TU:. IMO it's FAR easier to make steering miscalculations or over-correct in an emergency situation when you have assistance with the rack.

also, the effort is increased if you just remove the belt because the fluid is forced through all the lines PLUS the dormant pump. IMO if you are going to remove your p/s, the proper way to do it would be to remove the pump, bracket and the cooler lines that run in front of the radiator.

then, use a proper p/s removal kit like this one from StealthMode which i plan to install next year (if i have a digi cam by then i might even do a DIY write-up :D):

STEALTHMODE PERFORMANCE P/S REMOVAL KIT

this kit comes with proper stainless steel lines and anodized fittings :TU: there is a link to Honda Tuning's How-To article as well
thank you Steve-O, you are the man :TU:. I've been looking for that link forever now and couldn't find it. I've had my ps off the car for a while now, it's not hard to drive at all. Like Steve-o said it's a lot more responsive without it.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I'm going to be doing this to my car tomarow. I saw somewhere that someone added a breather to the system like the picture below. I read that it is suppose to make it easier to turn but still keeps the system lubricated.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
thank you Steve-O, you are the man :TU:. I've been looking for that link forever now and couldn't find it. I've had my ps off the car for a while now, it's not hard to drive at all. Like Steve-o said it's a lot more responsive without it.
anytime man :TU:

i don't know if it's more responsive unless your arms are the size of trees ;). but it definitely gives the driver alot more feedback because all the turning power required is supplied by your arms and force exurted to the rack when cornering is transferred to your arms. without p/s, the rack is not being assisted or cushioned by the system and the pump :TU:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts