Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a DOHC zc head fit on a jdm d15b vtec block? My bottom end is in good shape but my valve seals are going and I would like to go with a dohc head (preferably mildly built) to solve my problems.

·
Registered
915 Posts
will a DOHC zc head fit on a jdm d15b vtec block? My bottom end is in good shape but my valve seals are going and I would like to go with a dohc head (preferably mildly built) to solve my problems.
yes it will...you have to use the cams out of a GSR or b16 to egual out the super valve lift decrese of the DOHC zc cams. After the head is on the block, run a bead of JB weld around the head/block mating surface to insure a good, 100% headgasket seal

search it!!!!! :cussing:

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
It's possible, but unless you have access to a mill, it is going to be very diffucult. There is only ONE confirmed case of this I know of, and it's running, but we have no longevity to say if it is worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
968 Posts
you have to use the cams out of a GSR or b16 to egual out the super valve lift decrese of the DOHC zc cams.
B-series camshafts will not work in a D-series engine - they are about 2" longer than the head and cylinder spacing center to center is greater on the B-series due to the larger bore size

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
B-series camshafts will not work in a D-series engine - they are about 2" longer than the head and cylinder spacing center to center is greater on the B-series due to the larger bore size
dude was being facecious.

b series cams. jb weld to help seal the head to the block...

i guess that went over your head.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
The deck hieghts are different with the dohc and the sohc d series

·
Registered
371 Posts
i think we've seen it proved that the swap itself its too expensive to make possbie

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts

·
Registered
white crx with a zc
338 Posts
i say git a old junker block out of the yuck yard from a 88-89 teg

·
Registered
ef7 crx
322 Posts
Yeah provided the D15 has the same head bolt pattern as the D16 then it can be done.
It wasn't expensive at all. If I'd paid somone to do the machining it would have been about 6 hours work.
It took longer lightning my flywheel and crank pully than I did re-boring the head holes.
Remember half the stuff I did to my motor was unnessessary like the 12mm head bolts and re-tapping of the block. I could have just stuck with 10mm bolts (OEM wont work too short) and saved myself a lot of time.
Without the headbolt conversion I'd say you'd be looking at about 2 hours tops on a mill. Shit you only have to move 3 holes between 2 - 3 mm.
The biggest expense was the hardcore bolts i bought the 180mm long one was $18 the rest were around $15
The only slightly dodgy thing about the conversion is now I am not running locating dowels.

If you want advice though, find out everything you can about your engine before starting the job. I know for one you will have to use PM7 or P29 pistons to make use of the DOHC head and it's 43cc combustion chamber.
But also you need to compare the oil galleries between the head and block and make sure they are compatible, it works on the D16 but it might be different with the D15.
Have it all planned out and know exactly what you need to do.

·
Registered
ef7 crx
322 Posts
Try and find a dude with the username "Baseballinmyass" I'm pretty sure he got a D16a1 (gold top ZC) head onto a D15 block and had good results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts