Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering...

it looks like my radiator blew up on 99 auto tranny Civic EX..

So I my buddy was offering a 95 Del Sol Dual Core radiator for a good price..

only thing is that the Del Sol Radiator is designed for a manual transmission..

can this Del Sol Radiator be used on my car?

·
Hondaphile
see above
1,113 Posts
well, there are tranny coolers built into honda automatic radiators. However a lot of the replacement radiators have the tranny cooler attached at the bottom regardless of whether you use them or not. I just replaced mine and it had one attached...not using the tranny cooler but it's there none the less. Actually had considered the idea of using it as an oil cooler........hmmmmm

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
vtec_concept said:
Just wondering...

it looks like my radiator blew up on 99 auto tranny Civic EX..

So I my buddy was offering a 95 Del Sol Dual Core radiator for a good price..

only thing is that the Del Sol Radiator is designed for a manual transmission..

can this Del Sol Radiator be used on my car?
DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!

You'll end up smoking the tranny fluid!!!!!!

Rule of thumb, for every 15-20 degrees cooler tranny fluid temp, tranny life is DOUBLED!

If you wanna run the Del Sol rad. your gonna spend about $60-75 adding a small tranny cooler + fittings. BUT your tranny will thank you in the long run.

Also with Honda trannys and non-serviceable filters, make sure you drain what fluid you can from the tranny and fill EVERY 15,000 miles.

I've got a 85 Accord with 172,000 mile on the auto trans, still shifts great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
transzex said:
DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!

You'll end up smoking the tranny fluid!!!!!!

Rule of thumb, for every 15-20 degrees cooler tranny fluid temp, tranny life is DOUBLED!

If you wanna run the Del Sol rad. your gonna spend about $60-75 adding a small tranny cooler + fittings. BUT your tranny will thank you in the long run.

Also with Honda trannys and non-serviceable filters, make sure you drain what fluid you can from the tranny and fill EVERY 15,000 miles.

I've got a 85 Accord with 172,000 mile on the auto trans, still shifts great.

I can vouch for that I've got an auto 91' Accord with 150k no problems always change the fluid every 15k!

Tranny oil cooler is crucial for any A/T the oil to water cooling method is extremely efficient try to stay with that. :werd:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts