Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a free a6 longblock yesterday and started to tear it down tonight to see if I can still run it. The head still looked mint. But as soon as I took out the head bolts, I started to realize why it was free.

^The head bolts had lots of rust on it as soon as I removed them.

^The head gasket is toast. I think it just blew that junk off.

^Another HG pic.

^Oil pan sludge.

^Yucky.

Here is my main concern. The crank, journals, main girdle, pistons, rods are all still in good condition but I do not understand where these 2 holes came from in the block. I think that is the bolt thread for the a/c compressor. I have a pic below.

^As you can see, a chunk of the block came off.

^Here's a close-up of one side.

^Here's a close of up the other side.

I want to know if I put jb weld on those holes, will the block still be usable? Or does anyone have other suggestions? I want honest opinions. I plan to run this block for a a6/z6 mini-me 15g build. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
Red EG
189 Posts
Jesus. The work that is going to take is colossal. I would check a few things before running it.

Cracks in the block/head/waterjackets.
What the hell those holes used to be and if there was any +/- pressure across them. If there was indeed a pressure difference, I would NOT use JB weld and run it anyways. If you're dead set on using it, weld those things shut and make sure not to obstruct any oil passages.

You could always take it to a recycler and pick up 20 bucks.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
What chassis is it going????

Looks like someone used the wrong bolts for the AC bracket, which is where the 92-00 torque mount goes.

If it was going into a 88-91 chassis I'd thread in bolts covered in a good sealer, then a little JB weld.

Are you planning a .5mm overbore when building?

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's going to a '00 dx coupe. And I do plan to bore it .5mm. I was thinking the same thing to bone, someone installed the wrong bolts on there.

If I can find the pieces that broke off and either jb weld or get it welded, would that suffice?

·
Registered
civic
451 Posts
i wouldnt waste the time rebuilding that knowing its going into 00dx, not sure where you're from, but in VA its required to have tourque mounts to pass inspection and thats the last thing i would try and mount to that block....

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
I'd consider finding a different engine but I wouldn't just scrap that thing. It breaks
my heart to see non-production engines get scrapped. It can be used for something.
I've brought auto related things that looked worse than that back from the dead with
some time and dedication.

·
Registered
civic
451 Posts
There should be little to no pressure in the crankcase, and even if there was it wouldn't be enough to crack JB Weld
if thats where the tourque mount goes then yes there is...
jb weld is a temp. fix not perm. thats just what i know from years of using it, only good use i have for that is a good body filler...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
if thats where the tourque mount goes then yes there is...
Really? Considering that little to none of the threads are broken off? So with the correct bolt, there would be no pressure at all on the "fixed" part? But magically it will break, right?
thats just what i know from years of using it
it's amazing how many "YEARS of using it" a 22 year old can have :roll:

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
I would use devcon over jb weld on our blocks. I used it when doing block posts years ago and I tried to chip it off with a hammer and chisel....not gonna happen that shit bonds to the aluminum like it was welded.

·
Registered
civic
451 Posts
Really? Considering that little to none of the threads are broken off? So with the correct bolt, there would be no pressure at all on the "fixed" part? But magically it will break, right?
it's amazing how many "YEARS of using it" a 22 year old can have :roll:
22? really? thats how much you know, keep guessing...

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Devcon FTW on aluminum! Its what we use in the Aircraft industry... if its good enough for the FAA then its good enough for this engine... LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts