Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I last posted, but I finally got my 12.5:1 NA d16a6 put in my Civic only to have the head gasket weep coolant thanks to my own stupidity. Dummy me forgot to completely unplug the fuel pump (going carb'd and only removed the fuel pump relay) and shot around 40 psi through my carb and straight into the engine. Anyway long story short the excess fuel had to go somewhere and chose the head gasket area to leak. The machine shop is going to check/resurface the head and block, and check everything out. I used a Honda MLS gasket y5/y8 style, can I reinstall this gasket or should I get a new one? I don't see any damage to the gasket at all. And it only weeped coolant which might have subsided had I got the engine warm. But I never actually ran it because of the coolant leaks and the carb issue. I'd love to have this thing rolling before winter gets here.

Let me know!

I'm asking because the engine builder thinks I can reuse it and it was kinda expensive so I don't really want to buy another one, but I sure don't want to pull the head again.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
seems like something wasnt right other than the fuel...the engine wasnt even on right? Ive had fuel dump into my motor (while not running of course) enough to fill the cylinder and then some and had no problem once all the fuel was dried up/shot out of the spark plug hole lol.
Either way, get a new hg imho, you dont want to do it again. Plenty of people re-use them but if it was leaking/used at all then i wouldnt. Then again you said it was never ran so who knows...but it was still torqued down.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
yeah, what headgasket did you use that it was expensive?? you can get y8 HG's for $20 something.
Unfortunately not everwhere! or at least my local Honda...

I've ran a used HG before without issue...but it is best to replace it.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
like said, if it's been torqued down, I've never reuse it unless I honestly didn't have the money. even then, if it fails your going to be out more money....

·
Formerly weebeastie
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more info

The head gasket was a cometic style gasket. Thats why I don't want to go back out and drop another hundred bucks on a new gasket. As far as the seepage goes, let me restate that the compression ratio is 12.5:1 which means there is nowhere for gasoline to compress in the combustion chamber. The only place that it can go is either by the rings or out the head gasket.

The best thing I can do is remove it and see what the gasket looks like, then I'll go from there.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
I don't want to go back out and drop another hundred bucks on a new gasket
so don't. there's no reason to waste your money on a cometic gasket. oem works fine and is MUCH cheaper.

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

go get an oem one and forget the overpriced cometic shit.

part number 18140, price 23.22

(i use ebay headgaskets. they're even cheaper and work just as good.)

·
Formerly weebeastie
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Q's

so don't. there's no reason to waste your money on a cometic gasket. oem works fine and is MUCH cheaper.

(i use ebay headgaskets. they're even cheaper and work just as good.)
So how much cylinder pressure are you making? My engine is 12.5:1 right now. After Nitrous Oxide is put into the mix I should be upwards of 15:1. Still think a stock factory style gasket will hold? And yes the bottom end is built to handle it.

I assume that you use a turbo. How many psi are you running?

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
once it has been on its done get another,but thats just my.02

·
Formerly weebeastie
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was my original opinion

once it has been on its done get another,but thats just my.02

The machinist just keeps saying that he always reuses the cometic gaskets on his race car even if they had a leak. Usually the only way to keep super high compression under control is head studs and a cometic gasket. We'll see. I'll just have to talk my wife into buying another one.......lol.

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
maybe, i really dont know how strong those gaskets are,but its just a pain in the arse to put your motor in get it running,and then have to pull the head back off to replace the gasket..good luck to you and if it works, post here to tell everyone it did,so someone else may be able to save some cash if they run into the same problem

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
From what everyone says the OEM HGs are god, but I'm trying the Fel-Pro from AutoZone and so how that goes with 20+ psi of boost...

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
So how much cylinder pressure are you making? My engine is 12.5:1 right now. After Nitrous Oxide is put into the mix I should be upwards of 15:1. Still think a stock factory style gasket will hold? And yes the bottom end is built to handle it.

I assume that you use a turbo. How many psi are you running?
17psi.

if i remember correctly, rota used oem headgaskets on his 568whp d-series running around 35psi.

what is it that you think makes cometic so much better? both are multi layered steel gaskets. as long as you have arp studs torqued correctly you shouldn't have a problem unless your cylinders are shifting or something in which case a $100 headgasket does nothing to help that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts