Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i have a 96' civic cx hatchback,stock. i want to turbo it but i want to do a minor build.
would i be able 2 build it myself. i want to get srp pistons and tuner toys rods. and im trying to think of the word for making the inside of the block smoother(sry cant think of it), with basic tools. the biggest thing to me is being able to do things myself. not send my shit away and pays tons of money. also will i have to take the block out of my car?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
lol, but seriously, its not that hard. im doin a rebuild too. i have a d16y7 and its already turboed. for small power gains( enough to notice) get a starter kit. i found one online for like 900 bucks. www.advancedjdmparts.com def. check them out. the setup is good for like 7-8 psi. a good boost from what you got now. its real safe on a well kept stock motor. the only thing that sucks about that kit is the bov they give you is the wrong one. the right one is a hks style. its like 45 bucks or somethin like that. exaust will help out a bit too. give you couple hp at the wheels. if ya want to go serious, like me, its gonna get pricey. now your talkin pistons, rods, fuel injectors, new wastgate springs, fuel pump, ecu, all that jazz. its possible to to the advanced shit yourself, but the tuning id recomend for the professionals. the first setup is totally a noob thing(imma noob, and i did it!) ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
have someone show you what your lookin at and see whats goin on first, " do i have to take the block out of the car" tells me your in for an invested locked up motor. but if your gonna do it make shure you have a good ft\lb and in\lb torque wrench, assembly lube, and some rod bolt sleeves < they'll be your best friends once you startin puttin your rods in. might as well blue print it to since your rebuilden for boost.

·
Registered
408 Posts
i did a build on my own. very simple the hardest part was plastigaging the rod bearings. and you could leave it in the car if you wanted... pull the head. pull the pan + crank + old pistons/rods then notch it out and install the new stuff.

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
The first thing you're going to want to do is pull the complete engine for the build. I say this because when you do the build you're going to need to hone the cylinder walls, notch the block, and then get the block hot tanked after this is done to remove all the little metal fragments that would love to meet your bearings. Having the engine out in a nice CLEAN open area will help you out alot during the disassembly process since it will be easier to keep track of the engine components as you remove them. Maybe this is just me but I also make sure that every bolt is labeled so that it goes back into the exact same place it was before removal.

Once you do that and have the necessary machine work done you should be good to go. Just make sure that you have alot of paper towels, assembly lube, and pipe cleaners (they're great for making sure all the bolt holes are free of any grime). The big thing here is cleanlyness. The less foreign dust and debris gets in your engine the better.

Now that you have everything nice and clean you'll need to have plastiguage and a micrometer to check the clearances on parts before you put them back in place as well as a ring compressor for when you install the pistons. As long as you do this, you should be good to go.

Oh, and on a side note if you're on a budget, I'd source out a D16A6/Z6 block for the build since the only company that makes rods for the D15 is Crower and they run about 800$ a set. Good luck w/ the build.

EDIT: Buy a good manual as well so you have all the proper torque specs and sequences for when you begin to put it all together.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i used to be a honda tech member still AM they are assholes there and cockie but there some kool people there if u want to learn how to do a hole engine rebuild i have a video ill send it to u just pay shipping

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
and you could leave it in the car if you wanted... pull the head. pull the pan + crank + old pistons/rods then notch it out and install the new stuff.
how are you going to pull the crank when the engine is still in the car? since you have to pull the trans to get the crank out of the car, might as well just pull the whole thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
do a search in the DIY forum. there's a great thread there called "how to do a rebuild on a d15" it's a great post with pictures and shows what you need to hone and clean up the block. of course you'd be replacing pistons and stuff, but all the info is there.. read it, re-read it until you have a better grip on what you think you can and can't do, then come back and start asking a ton of questions! a bit of reading can clear up almost all your questions

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
5,467 Posts
I have one thing. i have a good price on rods, pistons and the rest of the goodies. the parts are used i think its wiseco stuff. the price is $200 have about 1500 to 2000 miles on them.
def want to edit this, no selling buying or trading on this site till you have 65 post's MIN. and staff approval......

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts