Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having my transmission installed I was able to drive it for about twenty minutes before it failed.. but anyways, since I didn't have the input shaft bearing noise like I did before i was more clearly able to hear my engine/turbo/exhaust etc.

Anyways, to my surprise I could hear my turbo compressor wheel spinning and I think it may have been touching something...i.e it sounded intermittently like it was scraping off the side of the housing....

And I have noticed that I don't reach full boost until about 1k rpm later...do these signs point to a dieing turbo? It may be just me and or the blown transmission that was in the car at the time...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you park the car while it was running and actually CHECKED if it was even coming from the turbo?....
Have you checked your turbo for shaft play?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you park the car while it was running and actually CHECKED if it was even coming from the turbo?....
Have you checked your turbo for shaft play?
There is a small amount of side to side shaft play...isnt that normal for journal bearing re manufactured turbos?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
the compressor wheel is always spinning, or there would be no air flow and the engine would choke... and your going to be able to hear it clearly if there isnt an intake... though you should inspect the turbo if you feel there is something that might be wrong with it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was a slight boost leak.. got it sorted out and everything working fine.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
99EJ

An engine can run with a seized turbo as a turbo does not block the airflow. It is a bit restrictive but not in any way a complete block to airflow.

qqq

Glad to hear it's fixed and was something dead simple and basic.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
And boy does a stock turbo car become a total slug when the turbo is seized.

Had a Forester with a seized up turbo in the shop last year, and that thing would barely attain highway speeds.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
But it will still run and it will get you home.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
99EJ

An engine can run with a seized turbo as a turbo does not block the airflow. It is a bit restrictive but not in any way a complete block to airflow.
sorry if it came across that way. that is correct, inlet is not a full block off of air flow if the blades are not moving. air will still get around the blades, though it will be restrictive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.