Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i have a d15b1 that i am just trying to get to work right now. i had to remove the cyclinder head in order to replace a blown head gasket it had when i purchased so after the head was off i sent it to an engine machine shop to get the flatness checked, and see if each individual chamber held compression. well it past everything , now the guy took apart the valvetrain to examine the valve stem seals, and anything out of the odd. well he found that the camshaft has an exceeding amount of thrust play and that the guide is noticably worn what should i do?

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
New head or have new cam journals machined into the old head, no other way around it. Since Honda heads don't use cam bearings, the only way to correct excessive thrust is to machine a surface in. Most often its more cost effective to get a new (to you) head. Odd though. Normally you don't encounter excessive thrust wear on a Honda head.

·
Registered
1994 Civic Hatch cx
405 Posts
hmm. this makes me question....

dam i wonder if the head i just worked on is good???

FML

good luck with that!

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
a bent camshaft could cause this or improper oiling caused by a buildup of sludge from bad maintenance? hard to belive this... I would check the cam as well to make sure that its not worn as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow a bent cam shaft dear lord i hope thats what caused it cause if its improper maintenance from previous owners who knows what else is gunna go
fml
thanks d series forum

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Is it a stock OEM cam.

Like cervan says

Or possibly if it is a regrind, they may have ground a taper accross the lobe that generates some excessive end thrust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the obama administration nice lol. for what i know of the car yes it has the oem cam for the d15b1 cylinder head

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Could the wrong distibutor that is to long been bolted in and created end thrust

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
that head is trash, find another one. I'd use that one to hone my skills for porting, cause if you mess up...no biggie! Its already screwed up. :)

Its BEYOND repair.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Looks like a serious case of oil starvation and possibly contamination to me. How often do you check and change your oil and filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeha i just got the car and havent investigated toward the botttom end yet and also the oil i got the car with im not impressed with previouse owner has a fram oil filter and the oil is fairly dark and smells like its been in there awhile so would i need to keep my eyes open for basically an engine if it boiled down to it ?

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
If the oil has a bad case of death breath it indicates a lot of contamination from blowby and possibly corrosion of the bearings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts