Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
90 crx dx
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:detective:What are your thoughts about upgrading my cam on my 90 crx dx? I am going
to do a mpfi swap on it. I have been reading threads on d-series and are asking
about the a6 cam y8 cam gear combo. Should I do this or go skunk2?

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
A6 cam upgrade is a proven combo, just make sure with either cam ur ready to run the revs, or are ready to deal w the consequences of the revs on a worn stock motor.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Throwing an A6 cam in there is a good cheap upgrade. When we start talking about aftermarket cams you start going down the rabbit hole of "how to get the best bang for your buck"
If youre paying big bucks for a cam, you might as well get one that will actually make some power. To support a cam like that youre going to need valve springs and a lot more compression. So now at the very least you are pulling the head off and milling it for compression, or maybe building the bottom end with high comp pistons. If you have the head off you might as well do a little port cleanup, so thats more expense if you cant do it yourself. Finally, youre going to need a good header, exhaust, maybe a skunk2 intake manifold or a ported OEM manifold.

All this stuff adds up, but if youre going to do it, you might as well get the most out of it.

Then on the other hand, for all you spent trying to get ~150 hp NA, you could just put that money into a turbo setup and make more power with a much better torque curve.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts

psi means dick

5 psi from a t28 is not the same as 5psi from a t66

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
How to pick a turbo. Figure out power you want ... calculate CFM needed to make said power ... pick turbo that flows said CFM efficiently.

Do math/work ... or pick WHP ... research other builds with similar numbers, mimic as needed.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts