Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a general question about timming a camshaft its not on a car engine but on an moto its a honda astrea supra / ex5 engine.
i have increased my stroke from 50mm to 54mm and might make it 56mm later i also change my camshaft(single cam) to one with 320 degrees and 7' lift advertised specs should i advance my timming or retard it or go normal?

ps: i read about d series mini swap that its complex to time it due to change of block height and i got my question (not measured but on the engine above the deck height is changed as well)

Give me your opinion!

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,090 Posts
holy shit seven feet of cam lift that bike must be huge!

but seriously if the deck height is changed you will need to get a degree wheel on there to get the cam installed straight up..

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
806 Posts
Generally speaking, and this applies to most engines, advancing the cam timing lowers your effective power band by roughly 200 rpms per degree with a stock cam, retarding it does the opposite, it raises where it starts to build power and let's it carry further by about 200 rpms per degree. however, aftermarket cams are generally built for higher rpms, so advancing cam timing with an aftermarket cam usually won't help bottom end much, just possibly get it to idle a bit better while still sacrificing a bit of top end.
was your deck hieght changed to accommodate the increased stroke? Was the head milled for higher compression? Those will be the main factors in weather or not it needs a timing advance to get the valve opening/closing angles where they need to be. And as @robgoof Said you will need to get a degree wheel on there to verify if deck hieght/head milling adjustments were made.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts