Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs:

- D16z6 fully built minus sleeves
- Bisimoto 2.4 cam, JE 9.0:1 compression pistons, Scat rods stock length.

Question: When my car was tuned we retarded cam timing by 2 degrees, my tuner thinks we could have made more power if we kept pulling the timing back, but was worried about clearance issues as I never clayed my motor or degree'd my cam. This was my first build and didn't even know about claying at the time. I didn't degree it because a lot of guys were just dropping in the bisi cam so I followed suit(regretting this heavily now). How can I figure out how far I can safely retard my cam timing now that everything is assembled?

Going for a retune with Jeff Evans soon, and want to sort everything out before I get there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow danz, i'm so glad you brought up locking VTEC, that never would have dawned on me. was thinking about taking it back a degree more or 2 and hand cranking it...off to youtube i go to learns me some claying.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, that much i knew. I think I may just set it back to zero and degree the cam properly, then go see jeff. Atleast I know i can retard 2* without messing anything up.

out of curiousity, what are some common retard degrees people run on D series motors? what would be considered a lot i guess is what i'm asking.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
hmm what would be a lot? thats tough to say

if i was probing on the dyno i might try 2 degrees either way and see what happens with the curve... then take it from there!

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
With some engines you can "clay" with the head intact.
Use thick solder and put it down the spark plug hole. But I think it will be a problem with a D series?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"I dont think you'll have any issues retarding it more than 2...unless this is a higher compression piston with oversized valves?

I've gone to minus 8 before on a Zex 59300 cam on a Vitara/Eagle combo and -6 on a Wiseco 8.5 piston with Eagle Rods.

Hell I've single cam turbo setups come in OFF 2 teeth on the cam in either direction and not had any valve issues."

this is what the homie from xenocron tuning told me.

i'm thinking i should be safe around -4* I don't think advancing will net me more power as we saw gains from going retard. What would be the upside to advancing danz? this cam advance/retard is something I'm totally lost on as far as why you make or lose gains.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm probably wrong, but i thought these were non-interference.

chris also mentioned the wiseco set up as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx for looking out danz, not really sure why chris woulda made this suggestion then...scratches head..

·
Registered
Honda Civic and CRV
265 Posts
I have a Wisco piston and Eagle rod setup, 8.5:1 comp and stock head. Had the valve timing gear skip a tooth plus the 4* already adjusted and no valve issues. Not that moving the stock cam timing really makes a difference, so I've found.

At one point the ignition timing was off by 12* and it still ran, daily! I'm brutal....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts